electronic primer

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice
I recently rebuilt the carbs on my 1996 70 hp Johnson (I was very proud of myself), and the engine was running great. A few hours later I was having problem with a float that needed adjusting. All went well. I then began having trouble staring the engine especially when hot. I researched my manual, and the electronic primer came up. I checked mine. It does not move when i push in my choke on the key. It also squirt gas at particular adjustments. I am not sure how to begin trouble shooting this. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how to proceed. I do have a manual.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: electronic primer

Nothing there to see move. Its an enclosed valve.
- Use your fast Idle function on your Control when starting hot.
- Make sure the lever on the primer is pointing towards primer body
- Don't prime when starting hot

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice

My main problem is that as soon as i lower the fast idle, the motor stalls out.

Because I cannot get into gear, I cant make adjustments to the cabs to eliminate that as a problem.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

make the initial adjustment in neutral. keep it barely running with fast idle position.Adjust till better. Then readjust in forward.

bruce728

Seaman Apprentice

I am still having problems. I checked the spark on the plugs (they are brand new). I noticed that the lower plug seems to have a secondary spark coming out from underneath the plug wire. The other day i noticed smoke coming from from this same plug while the engine was running. As i mentioned, the plugs are bran new, but this plug is already dirty. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?