Towing boat with a G35 coupe

Floatsyourboat

Recruit
I purchased a Yamaha 242 Limited a few months ago and it's been great. The only trouble is the way to transport it. I have a G35 coupe which I use to tow it to and from the lake, but it is very difficult to see behind me because my mirrors are much too small. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what tow mirrors I should get to help fix this problem?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Towing boat with a G35 coupe

Good lord... I owned a 350Z for years, which is basically the same car, and can't even imagine trying to tow a boat that large with it...

The rated towing capacity is 1,000lbs with a max tongue weight of 110lbs. That boat (just the boat!) weighs over 3,5000lbs. You are insane...

The power the car produces has nothing to do with this... My 350Z was turbocharged and dyno'ed at the wheels at 421RWHP/458RWTQ... Thats more then V8 pickup trucks. Doesn't mean I could tow as much as they could...

So, in short, no, I have no suggestions on tow mirrors. I propose you buy a proper tow vehicle to fix the problem.

Floatsyourboat

Recruit

Clearly you don't what you're talking about. I have been towing this boat with my G35 coupe for months with no problems. The towing capacity is a lie created by the automotive company's to trick the average American into buying a larger, more wasteful vehicle.

Floatsyourboat

Recruit

Well, my only suggestion for you is to sell your underpowered oversized vehicle and replace it with a more logical car.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're right, I have no idea what I'm talking about... :facepalm:

NYBo

Admiral

Is that a closed thread I smell?:argue:

aspeck

Staff member

Floatsyourboat, you came here asking a question about towing. I know your question was not answered directly, but it was answered. The tow ratings are about safety, not ability, and the answer was friendly. Your comeback was not so much. Please keep your responses positive and kind.

oldjeep

Admiral

Floatsyourboat, you came here asking a question about towing. I know your question was not answered directly, but it was answered. The tow ratings are about safety, not ability, and the answer was friendly. Your comeback was not so much. Please keep your responses positive and kind.

I find it a bit hard to believe that any of you think that this guy is for real. Joined today to talk about his claim that he is towing 5,000 lbs with a car that couldn't pull a dingy.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, after thinking about it I agree with you oldjeep. No way this guy could be serious.

Its just, we get so many strange threads here... :D

F14CRAZY

Ensign

My best buddy has towed his 21' Wellcraft Nova and 22' Sea Ray SRV with his Mark VIII LSC

Bronlonius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Clearly you don't what you're talking about. I have been towing this boat with my G35 coupe for months with no problems. The towing capacity is a lie created by the automotive company's to trick the average American into buying a larger, more wasteful vehicle.

The g35 has enough engine power and propably also has the proper gearing to pull it, that's not the problem. The problem is that the g35 doesn't have a solid frame like a truck would. It's a unibody, which means the floor, inner fenders, frame rails and all structural components are just sheet metal, which is as thin as possible to make the car lighter and faster... So your rear suspension, and your trailer hitch are attached to thin metal that will eventually rip itself apart, maybe not for a while, but a bad turn , minor accident, or even a bump could certainly rip the whole trailer hitch assembly right out of your car, rendering the safety chains useless.

If it was a good idea to tow 3500 lbs with this car, someone in the aftermarket would make a cool looking custom set of towing mirrors for these cars just like you can get for full size trucks, and it would probably end up in the next fast and furious movie, then all the teenage g35 owners would have not only big metal wings and body kits on their cars, but also super cool sporty looking towing mirrors.

Get a smaller boat, or get a car/truck that's rated for the weight of your trailer before someone gets hurt.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Found a picture of the boat and owner... Seriously guys, he is trolling... Iboats loves to jump on anyone in regards to towing, so he just is pushing people's buttons.

Of course, if the OP isn't trolling, post some pics!

3293856561_c0b9fde2a4.jpg

agallant80

Commander

Could a G35 even pull it up the ramp without snapping a ujoint or some other drive component. This guy is insane or just messing with people on the site. With that said i have seen a fair amount of under powered tow vehicles at the ramp I have also seen a fair amount of over powered too. I always love seeing the guy in a Diesel F250 pulling the 19 foot Carolina Skiff. Any ways I don't see how a G35 can pull 4500Lbs of boat and trailer up a 20% grade boat ramp without something going wrong sooner or later.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Could a G35 even pull it up the ramp without snapping a ujoint or some other drive component. This guy is insane or just messing with people on the site. With that said i have seen a fair amount of under powered tow vehicles at the ramp I have also seen a fair amount of over powered too. I always love seeing the guy in a Diesel F250 pulling the 19 foot Carolina Skiff. Any ways I don't see how a G35 can pull 4500Lbs of boat and trailer up a 20% grade boat ramp without something going wrong sooner or later.

If its the AWD/auto trans version, it probably could at least get it up the ramp without leaving parts of the unibody behind. The bigger problem would be the tongue weight. It would absolutely destroy the class I hitch, and if the hitch didn't bend, the sheet metal mounting points would. The only way would be to run EXTREMELY light on the tongue weight, under 200#.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

This has to be a joke. I pull a 24 ft boat with my half ton truck and I would want nothing less. You definately know its back there. The tongue weight alone would rip the hitch from the body I would think.