Can I use the other side of a cdi for cyl 3 89 85 hp

Jer'sgarage

Cadet
OK. Can I use the other side of rear cdi for cyl # 3. I just bought this boat knowing it needed a cdi. I had to play with this a little to make it work. I just don't have time to look this all up and play it out in my head. trigger should be correct. I'm not sure why the stater is hooked like it is, except to keep from powering #4 part off cdi. Now what I ended up doing is I think I wired it like a 4cyl. I think It should work as one side of the cdi is dead. Will this work with out hurting any thing. The only thing I think it can hurt is the stater.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can I use the other side of a cdi for cyl 3 89 85 hp

2 packs One fires #1 and then #2 second pack fires #3 and #4 is tied back.
What one isin't firing? #1/2/3?
You might be able to rewire the pack if #1 or #3 isin't firing.
Never done it myself.
If #2/4 isin't firing? Just swap packs around.
E-bay has them sometimes cheap?
Just make sure you get one from any year except 84/85/86.They have the plug in connectors.

Jer'sgarage

Cadet

I'm mostly worried about the stater. Will it have a problem after some run time? I don't care if the cdi takes a dump, its considered junk any way.
I cranked it for a good 20 sec, waiting a few mins between tries. Had good spark on all three plugs, each one sparking right after the other.
Unless some one tells me NO your gonna mess _____ up. I'll get some gas in it tomorrow, and give it a whirl.
I'm sure some has tried this already. I just haven't found it yet. So if this works I will definitely post what I did. Its quite simple all you need is a flat head screw diver.

PLEASE if you know that I will hurt some "more expensive" part by doing this. PLEASE say so!

foodfisher

Captain

Save a starter and use a pull rope. That will make you fix it.

foodfisher

Captain

Oops, I should have known better than to jump into electrics.:embarassed:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The only way you can hurt a more expensive part is not grounding the plug wires when you test for spark or try to time it.

Jer'sgarage

Cadet

IF this does work. It will save me and others a lot of $$. At least short term. Keep in mind that my engine is an 89 85hp Force with blue cdi's and coils and screw type terminal block. IF this works, it will work on several other similar ignition systems.
This is what I did.. I took the green and orange trigger wires for cyl 3 and hooked them to the unused ones for the rear cdi. Green to the red one orange to the white/green. Then switched the white coil wire from the orange wire to the red wire. Then I took the blue wire mark #3 from the stater ( originally both blue wires from stater are hooked to blue going to front cdi) and hooked it to the unused blue from rear cdi. Done. cyl #3 has spark again.
Other ignition systems essentially are the same on several engines they just have different wire colors.
In case you are wondering why I don't just buy a new cdi. I'm cheap! If I can save my self $180 then I will. As far as buying the boat goes I have exactly $62 in parts and about 10.5 hrs of my time in to replacing an engine for my customer. Its in very nice condition for being an 88 and it came with lots of extras. No way could I pass it up. Then my labor fees are about $700 short this month now, so I can't afford it right now any ways. The only thing It needs to be put in the water is the cdi. I don't want to wait until next month. I want to take it out NOW. U folks have to know that feeling.

Jer'sgarage

Cadet

I'm takin the boat back to my shop to put gas in and see if she goes. I'll let yous know what happens.

Jer'sgarage

Cadet

HAH! Runs like a champ. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to register it and put it in the lake.
Now. What works the best for cleaning and polishing the gel coat. There is several products Iv'e seen, but what works the best. either off the shelf or homemade. Gel coat is in good shape, just dirty and a little chalky.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I only use 3M buffing compound. The others are way expensive.
The 3M works great.
I found it at West Marine.
You might be able to get it at a auto parts store.
Not Auto Zone or that kind.I'm talking like NAPA?

Jer'sgarage

Cadet

I only use 3M buffing compound. The others are way expensive.
The 3M works great.
I found it at West Marine.
You might be able to get it at a auto parts store.
Not Auto Zone or that kind.I'm talking like NAPA?

Do you use a power buffer or an orbital type buffer, or just good old elbow grease. I worry about a buffer because the top and graphics on the sides are glitter and feel quite a bit rougher than the white base. Before I try to shine it up, I'd like to clean it first to get all the little black spots and all the dirt off of it. I'd want to get any old wax and stuff off of it too. I'm thinking of using an auto body wax and grease remover.

Jer'sgarage

Cadet

As for the thing with the cdi box. I'm gonna call CDI Electrons today and see what they have to say about it.