Disappointing lake test on 98 Boston whaler

Burro237

Seaman Apprentice
Was super exited to check this out today. Drove 180 miles to see it. Guy told me on the phone that its in great condition, nothing wrong, serviced every year, low hours barely used blah blah blah. Hull and interior looked great, but from the beginning it was obvious he knew nothing about the boat. My first concern was when he started the engine out of the water to show me that it started without a problem, then he shut it back down, as if he regularly runs his boats without water. On the water I notced that the steering turned easily to the right but to the left I had to hang on it. He had no idea how to use the trim tabs or what they were for. He seemed shocked that it made the bow go down. When we got back to his lift, I noticed that there was a mixture of water and fuel, possibly oil in the bilge. I asked if it was ok for me to bring a mechanic to look at it, and he seemed to get offended and said there was no need, that he had barely ever used the boat since he bought it, and that it was in perfect condition. That was when I walked away.
It's a shame, because I still want the boat, even if I have to do some mechanical work, but I won't pay the price he's asking, which is about $3000 over blue book.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Disappointing lake test on 98 Boston whaler

Even Whalers get abused and neglected, Burro. Sorry you went to so much trouble.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you don't say what size Whaler but $3000, yes; $3000 over blue book, no way. As is often the case buying a boat over 15 years old, you are buying a hull (no worries here) and a motor you will replace.

coolguy147

Commander

you don't say what size Whaler but $3000, yes; $3000 over blue book, no way. As is often the case buying a boat over 15 years old, you are buying a hull (no worries here) and a motor you will replace.

Man, if I could get my hands on a 15 year old boat...The new one i own at the moment is from 1964 lol....

A 15 year old boat would be like a brand spankin' new one.

Burro237

Seaman Apprentice

It was an 18ft dauntless. I understand that any 15yr old boat will have problems, but the seller should not be shady about the problems it has and the price should reflect it. I am looking for that specific model boat, so even if it was just the hull, I would have bought it...but not for the full retail price (+ 3K) of a serviceable boat. The problem with this was his refusal to let someone take a look at it, so I had no idea what exactly was wrong with it or what needed replacement. Because he didn't know anything about the boat, my guess is that he bought it at a high price himself and then was disappointed, and tried to do a private sale, and became upset when I didn't want to blindly lay down cash like he did.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Friend cheer up and don't let this bad experience discourage you! I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, and to say you drove all that way and spent all that time checkin something out that probably had more surprises...

When the time is right you will find what your looking for just keep checking, and you'll be more than satisfied with it! You didn't want that boat as soon as he started acting shady just admit it haha...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Driving 180 mi. to look at a boat that is priced 3k over book value isn't something I would've done.

... but I won't pay the price he's asking, which is about $3000 over blue book.

I'm wondering which "blue book" number you're going by. If it's NADA, well, just do a quick search on this forum to find what the general consensus is amongst experienced boat people of how useful that is.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Remain polite and give him some time to talk to others then get back in touch if you really like the boat. If he isn't more agreeable then you just have to walk.

All the book values I have seen are "banker protection devices" and bear relationship to real values. That is said after an 18 month almost daily quest for a boat.

hostage

Lieutenant

I think walking was the right idea. There are many boats in the sea :)

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I give you credit for walking away. I am too guilty of a buy high, sell low history. It will all work out for you.:)

Burro237

Seaman Apprentice

I got burned with my last boat; I bought it because it "looked" like it was in good condition. It was my first boat, and I knew very little about what to look for. After buying it I found out that the transom was leaking, all the boots needed replacing, the transom seal was busted, and the engine was shot.
Yeah, blue book really doesn't mean much, its more the "going" rate that counts. BW's seem to go for a little more than NADA values, and here in Texas they're not as common as they are on the east coast. His price was about what that boat would sell for in perfect condition. He assured me over the phone that it was in perfect working order. Otherwise I would not have driven over there. I don't regret walking away. What would have ended up happening is me paying top dollar for his boat then finding out that it needed 10K worth of repairs.