Can a prop go bad from age?

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
35 hp gale, replaced the prop in 1987 and quit using boat till just recently. It just won't get on plane like it used to. Full tune up last fall. so do they just go bad with age? same boat. I put on a few pounds since then!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can a prop go bad from age?

Did it run right with the new prop in 87? Was the new prop the same pitch?Was the boat in dry storage?
Props don't change from simple age except for the hub occasionally dry out and failed hub will let the motor rev but the boat may actually slow. If the coils haven't been replaced very likely it is running on one cylinder. Not unusual not to know it was one cylinder
but for the lack of power.
If the fuel system hasn't been rebuilt it may not be developing full power.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

ran great in '87 with that prop. not in dry storage, left outside. new coils, points, fuel pump, carb rebuild and impeller. runs good just 1/2 throttle and full throttle are about the same. new plugs and wires, and synched.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Left outside? .... Since 1987? Was it covered the entire time?.... prolly not so I am guessing there is some water built up in the hull and foam that is weighting you down...

foodfisher

Captain

If they go bad from age it's because the rubber died and it's spun or a blade fell off.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'll second the possibility of water in the foam under the floor.
"half throttle the same as full throttle" Before anything pull one plug wire at a time and see if it will run.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't think it is the foam, gutted boat and let it sit under carport for 3 months. Put in new floor and decks. Running on both cylinders. I think I may have found the obvious. I need to tuck in the motor and raise it a little. Look at the photos, I have the tilt pin in the wrong place and need to move it. The cav plate is 3 inches lower than hull but can only raise it a little. gale 005 (Small).jpggale 004 (Small).jpggale 002 (Small).jpggale 001 (Small).jpg

jestor68

Commander

If the motor is mounted in the same manner as it was when it used to perform better, why would that be the problem?

I can't think any reason a prop would go bad from sitting.

jestor68

Commander

I put on a few pounds since then![/QUOTE] Maybe that might be a factor? :facepalm:

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't see how that motor would ever run right with that, or any other prop. It's a long shaft on a short transom ... :cool:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If you can find the parts you can turn it into a short shaft motor.Its possible all you would need is a short driveshaft.
If they just extended the water tube and the shift rod.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Transom is 21 inches. thought that was for a long shaft. Thanks for the input though.