making me a boat......

phatmanmike

Captain
helllllloooooo<br /><br />i just pruchased these plans from WWW.Boatplans.DK<br /><br /> http://www.boatplans.dk/mo-15.asp <br /><br />it looks like a "gheenoe"<br /><br />i was actually looking for canoe plans, wanting to make one big enough for me, wife, and kids or gear, etc...<br /><br />then i found this one. its made the stitch and glue method. i have never done a boat from scratch before, but i have done my time in the camp of fiberglass and wood repairs.<br /><br />BUT.... all the plans call for EPOXY resins. i have heeps of poly resins here at home, and have always had good luck with poly. is there any real reason i couldnt use poly on this one too?????<br /><br />any ideas and thoughts are appreciated.<br /><br />thakns mike

rogerwa

Commander
Re: making me a boat......

I built a S&G canoe this fall.. I am still not finished as I have all the fairing and aesthetic stuff to do, but structually I am done. If interested here are some pics..<br /><br /> http://forums.bateau2.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12442 <br /><br />I don't think you want to use poly. I don't know the reason, all I know is I read it was a no-no.<br /><br />What plywood do you plan to use. That was the hardest thing for me. Since this was the first I just used 1/4" birch plywood at $9/sheet. The next time I will definitely go for the marine ply since I proved to myself that I could actually fashion a hull.<br /><br />Good luck and post pics along the way. Let me know if you have any question.. I may be able to help with my limited knowledge.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Cool looking boat. I'd guess it'll be a lot more stable than a canoe.<br /><br />The entire industry & all the hobbyists talk about using the epoxy resin rather than polyester for what you're doing. Its just better, and doesn't try to delaminate/peel off like polyester can and often does.

Laddies

Banned

Epoxy resin only has a shrink about 1/3 of poly. so you will get a better bond and a stronger boat with it mike

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

U. L. V. light has an adverse effect on Polly.

crab bait

Captain

same as with epoxy.. always must paint or uv marine varnish over SANDED an cleaned surface..