96 Thunderbolt V no Voltage at coil?

subysti

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK I've looked at the troubleshooting and wiring diagrams. The positive purple wire goes in to a round plug pin #5. Where does it get it 12volts from? At least I'm glad I know why its not starting I just want to make sure I find the problem to fix it.

Boat is a 96 Larson with 5.7 merc thunderbolt V

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 96 Thunderbolt V no Voltage at coil?

Ayuh,... The ignition circuit is powered from the keyswitch,...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Power from the key switch I terminal (purple wire) also goes through your lanyard kill switch if you have one.

subysti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well checked voltage from keyswitch all the way back to round plug. 12 volts the whole way. I think I have a dead short in the coil because I removed the supply wires and 12 volts came back. I have another coil I'm going to try if I can get the old one out, the bracket and bolt are rusted beyond recognition.

Don S

Disconnect the wires from the - terminal on the coil before you buy a new coil.

attachment.php

subysti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that's the same print I have. Found the problem is a bad ground it seems. I connect to positive at coil and another ground point and I get 12 volts. Can I run a wire from battery for ground or is that not a good idea?

Bondo

Staff member

that's the same print I have. Found the problem is a bad ground it seems. I connect to positive at coil and another ground point and I get 12 volts. Can I run a wire from battery for ground or is that not a good idea?

Ayuh,... It would be better to clean, 'n fix the existin' grounds,...

Where, exactly aren't you getting Ground,..??

subysti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok. I'm completely befuddled at this point. I measure at the + side (purple wire) and - side (2 grey wires) of the coil and get nothing. I connect to the positive side of the coil and use another ground point on the engine and i get 12 volts. I remove the wires from The coil and measure the wires and get 12 volts. I reconnect the purple wire to the coil and measure from the coil to either of the grey wires and I get 12 volts. I only lose the 12 volts when I reconnect the grey wires.

Oh and this is with a new coil installed.

subysti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I've tried with either grey wire connected and I still lose the 12 volts. I also measured 1 ohm on the primary and 10K ohms on the secondary. Anyone have the specs for this coil? Coil i put in is a Sierra 18-5438.

Don S

I measure at the + side (purple wire) and - side (2 grey wires) of the coil and get nothing.

Assuming you are using your meter with one lead on the + and the other lead on the - coil terminal, 0 is what you should get. That is a voltage drop test. For the tests you need to be doing, you need the black lead on a good clean engine ground or even the black battery cable on the battery. Now you will be doing voltage tests.

subysti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Aaarrrrgggggg. Ok if I check that way I get 12 volts. I thought I had to check on either side of the coil. So I only use the + side of coil and then to battery ?

Don S

Voltage tests are always done with the black test meter lead to ground.

I would disconnect the gray wire on the back of your tach just to make sure it's not shorted to ground.

subysti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well went through the rest of the chart and go no spark anywhere. Going to go buy a cheap generic coil tomorrow at a car place just to confirm I didn't get a new bad coil. Otherwise I have to order a $500 ignition module.

Don S

Did you take the gray wire off the tach? Not off the coil, off the tach.

subysti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not off the tach. I assumed if I was getting the 12 volts at the coil then it wasn't shorted. The flowchart didn't say to do that but I will listen to the voice of experience and try that. Anything to not have to buy a new icm. Why is there a wire from the coil to the tach anyways?

Don S

Do the tests, as stated, all of them until you run into a specific point that something fails. Then you will know what the problem is.

Sounds like all you want to do is change parts.

Fun Times

Staff member

I measure at the + side (purple wire) and - side (2 grey wires) of the coil and get nothing. I connect to the positive side of the coil and use another ground point on the engine and i get 12 volts. I remove the wires from the coil and measure the wires and get 12 volts. I reconnect the purple wire to the coil and measure from the coil to either of the grey wires and I get 12 volts. I only lose the 12 volts when I reconnect the grey wires.
I thought I had to check on either side of the coil. So I only use the + side of coil and then to battery ?
The - on the "coil" is not actually the same as an engine ground.

If you're not getting a good spark, check for approximately 12+ VDC from the coil positive terminal (purple wire) to engine/battery ground with the ignition switch in the ON position. You should also get approximately 12+ VDC from the coil negative terminal (Grey wire) to ground.

Why is there a wire from the coil to the tach anyways?
The grey wire between the tachometer and the - side of the coil is used as the signal wire to operate the tachometer. (AKA, The coil is the sensor for the tachometer).

subysti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info Fun Times. Don S, I dont want to just throw parts at it. The coil was a planned replacement anyways. I went through the troubleshooting flowchart and after doing all the checks it came down to replace the ICM. I dont want do do this if I dont have to. The very first step was to check the wiring at the tach but not remove it and check for spark so I didn't know to try that. Now that you suggested it I will try it tomorrow when the sun is back out. Thanks for all the info.

sptjet90Reflexx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was having the same problem with my thunderbolt IV system on my 4.3l merc. Turns out I solved the WHOLE issue buy making a new ground on my engine. If you follow your ground cable from your battery, You should see probably 3 wires, 1 is the main lead from the battery, the other is a ground for your trim pump and 1 more is possibly going to a distribution block which is what your ignition system is connected to. I cut the grounds off and ran them to a new bolt on the motor. My engine started up like it never had a problem. According to my flow chart I also had to replace my Ignition amplifier or ICM I guess some people call it. Ground solved it.

subysti

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I disconnected the grey wire from the back of the tach, that was harder to get to than anything else. Still no spark. Double checked my spark tester on a car to make sure it was good