Trick To Removing Old Hose?

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer
Working thru an 8" inspection plate. Need to get a tool in on the fuel shutoff valve, but large fill hose in the way. Removed the hose clamps, pried with flathead screw driver and gently twisted with adj pliars. I don't want to destroy the fill hose, but I need it out of the way. Is there a trick or tip? I'm stuck.

TIA

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Trick To Removing Old Hose?

As you can tell, that hose is pretty rigid and inflexable. If you've got a short straight run, almost impossible to remove. It had to be put in there someway. Can you remove the spout at the fill end to give you enough play at the work area?

If I'm disturbing an old hose I assume it's not going to like being moved and will either split or refuse to reseal properly. So I usually cut them off and replace with a new one.
This may be the best solution for you. Depends on how accessible it is?

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Trying to avoid that... fuel fill hose goes for $15/ft at West Marine... but you're right, prolly original and wouldn't hurt to replace it. Luckily, I worked around the obstacle, took mighty creative problem solving tho!

foodfisher

Captain

That's it! You're creative problem solving could help another boater with a similar problem.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

This forum has helped me, and whenever the time comes when I can contribute a solution to another's dilemma, I'd be more than happy to oblige. I have limited knowledge about engines, but I'm learning!

foodfisher

Captain

Was only trying to get you to reveal how you got around/solved the delima.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Warm the hose with a heat gun. Makes it much more flexible and will stretch when pulled from the barbs.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Look up hose pick. They work well to get between the hose and fitting and not damage it. I've used the cheaper ones and end up bending,breaking them. My current one is a snap-on and is holding up well.
image.jpg

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Didn't want to mess with heat working on the fuel tank...

Gonna get me one of those hose picks!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Didn't want to mess with heat working on the fuel tank...

Gonna get me one of those hose picks!

Your not blowing flames on it from a propane torch, you're only warming the hose up. Use a hair dryer if the heat gun is too hot. I'm not saying melt the hose, simply make it pliable.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A third vote for the hose pick. Works well to break the seal between hose and pipe.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Working thru an 8" inspection plate. Need to get a tool in on the fuel shutoff valve, but large fill hose in the way. Removed the hose clamps, pried with flathead screw driver and gently twisted with adj pliars. I don't want to destroy the fill hose, but I need it out of the way. Is there a trick or tip? I'm stuck.

TIA

Try pushing the hose onto the fitting first. When you try to pull the hose off, you will get the "chinese handcuff" effect from the braid in the wall of the hose and it will start to grab the fitting tighter. If you push onto the fitting first, the braid will expand, hopefully the hose will "pop" free and then you can pull it off.