Can anyone help me identify this pre-1970 wooden boat?

Sean8

Recruit

My Grandmother just passed away and in her garage for the past 40 years has been an old boat my uncle restored shortly before he died in 1972. It is 13 ft long and all wood construction. I have put up a few pics, I know it's hard to tell too much because it's dirty and not outside, but tires on the trailer need to be replaced. The hull has been painted a yellowish gold but I think he did that and it was some other color before. All I can tell is it says Commodore on the side and on the dash. I have searched a lot but have yet to see one like it....Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF6156.jpg
    DSCF6156.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF6157.jpg
    DSCF6157.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF6158.jpg
    DSCF6158.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF6159.jpg
    DSCF6159.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF6160.jpg
    DSCF6160.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Can anyone help me identify this pre-1970 wooden boat?

What is written below the name on the dash? A town where built maybe? Chris Craft built a 38' and 45' Commodore but yours looks a little smaller than that. Doubtful you can find the registration paperwork and doubtful the state can go back to the last numbers-- butworth a try on those items. She could be a beauty again if not dry rotted.... looks like she was registered through 1974....

QC

Supreme Mariner

That would be 4 minutes faster, sir :p

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since I'm completely bald - It was a lotta hair. :lol:

EDIT - I shouldn't have looked at the pics. :grumpy: Then I might have been first. :)

Metabo

Cadet

My Grandmother just passed away and in her garage for the past 40 years has been an old boat my uncle restored shortly before he died in 1972. It is 13 ft long and all wood construction. I have put up a few pics, I know it's hard to tell too much because it's dirty and not outside, but tires on the trailer need to be replaced. The hull has been painted a yellowish gold but I think he did that and it was some other color before. All I can tell is it says Commodore on the side and on the dash. I have searched a lot but have yet to see one like it....Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Clean her up, get her on the water and someone will come up to you and tell all you need to know about that boat. It's a beauty!
Metabo

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

She looks clean-- that is the 1st old boat I've seen I think would be fun to restore.

Ned L

Commander

You might try looking for information in a series of books called "The real runabouts" by Robert Speltze (it is a series of 5 books). I'll take a look when I have time later. "Commodure" certainly was not one of the major well known builders so you may have difficulty in finding much information. She looks to be plywood lapstrake in the sides & I'll bet a sheet plywood bottom. Simple good construction. I would recommend spending just a bit of time to learn how to take care of her and stay away from anyone who starts talking about epoxy, fiberglass, and two part paints. Also, with '72 being the last time anything was done to her ALL the paint and varnish will be lead based. Not a problem, just something to be aware of. I'd love to see more pictures, she looks like a nice little runabout.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

and it even comes with a crash helmet!

Ned L

Commander

Ah, looking at a full size screen,.... yep, sawn frames, lapstrake sides & sheet plywood bottom. I checked my copies of "The Real Runabouts" last night & couldn't find a thing on Commander boats. You may be out of luck on finding much information. I'd just give her a good cleaning, some fresh paint & varnish (not a polyurethane) and enjoy her.

Uhm, ....I'll bet you've got a bit more than 13' of boat there. I'd bet at least 16' or more.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Lyman Boats seemed to come closest to OP photos in config, scroll down link for clisest comparisons:

Lyman Boat Works

Sean8

Recruit

Lyman Boats seemed to come closest to OP photos in config, scroll down link for clisest comparisons:

Lyman Boat Works

Thank you! They are indeed very similar. I just need to get it out of the garage and cleaned up, then take some more pics.

Ned L

Commander

Somewhat similar in layout I suppose, but that's it. Completely different in construction from a Lyman.

Sean8

Recruit

Somewhat similar in layout I suppose, but that's it. Completely different in construction from a Lyman.

Oh really? So can you tell me how a Commodore and a Lyman are different? Which construction is better? They both seem to be built the same to me, though I obviously know little about boats, especially wooden ones. :confused: