Can't split gear case

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I have a "pre alpha". Can't remember exact MC/MR?. Functions exactly like an alpha.

Anyway, I removed it to install impeller and removed all bolts but can't split the housing to get in there. Did i miss a step during disassembly? I'm put some serious effort into it which is usually how i break things so i didn't want to push my luck.

Any suggestions are as always greatly appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can't split gear case

5 nuts and 1 allen bolt under the trim tab. When was the last time it was split?

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Are you using the instructions in the manual? Do you have the Don S. condensed version? If you have ALL the right bolts out, then you may be hanging up on the vertical shaft O-ring.... Patience and firmness (at least that works with my "kids":lol:).

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer

Pretty sure i had all bolts removed. Previous owner claimed impeller replaced 2010. Don't necessarily believe him at this point. Going back at it this afternoon. Will double check all bolts (nuts). Maybe a little penetrating oil? Trying very hard not break stuff although I'm kind of an expert at it..LOL

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

studs night be corroded a bit , pm recieved.

thumpar

Admiral

Like Bt Doctur mentioned above, make sure you get the allen bolt under the trim tab. I have forgotten that one before.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer

Can't split lower unit from outdrive - SOLVED

I try to put that stuff in forum posts for someone else's search in the future.

Not sure what happened last time, but started over this morning. (after long lay-off from boating due to repairing car-different thread LOL) Removed two nuts on the bottom, two nuts on the top, one nt on the top in the front of the housing and one bolt under the trim tab. Case basically fell apart without any effort. Best I can tell, I must have forgotton the one under the trim tab.

Thanks again for everyone's help.