How to advance the throttle while in neutral

jbird26

Recruit
I have was just given a 1991 bass tracker pro 17 with a 25hp Johnson. The problem is I can't find a way to advance the throttle while in neutral. The boat has the tracker side mount controls with starter key and safety kill switch but no obvious way to advance the throttle without shifting into gear. Thank you for any help you can give.

FZrider

Cadet
Re: How to advance the throttle while in neutral

Without seeing the controls, I can only offer that I've seen two types. There is either an idle lever that lifts on top or a push button at the base of the shifting lever that when you push the button it allows you to move the throttle forward without putting the motor in gear. Also on mine you push in on the key to activate the choke. Hope this helps

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Also, on some of those controls, it's simply a matter of pulling the handle straight outwards then advancing it. When returning to neutral, the handle snaps back into its original position.

jbird26

Recruit

Thank you for the ideas. I've seen both the leaver and the push buttons types unfortunately this control doesn't have either of those. I will try to pull out the throttle leaver and see if that works. Thank you both again for your insights and maybe I'll be able to figure this out.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

HUH!!! Learn something today.
Thanks Joe!

jbird26

Recruit

Unfortunately the possibilities listed are not there. I pulled the throttle cover and the throttle lever and have found nothing. The throttle handle was bolted directly to the shaft with no retention spring and I haven't found any bypass button or separate throttle lever on the controls. Anyone have any other ideas. The boat is a 1991 Bass tracker Pro 17 with a 25 hp Johnson. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A picture would help so we know what you have.