New Prop vibration

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is my 3rd prop.

1st one I smacked the bottom. Solas Amita 14.3x21, 3 blade

2nd one I wanted to try a 4 blade so I went with a Solas Amita 14.somethingx20 pitch

3rd one, Brand new out of the box. Solas Amita 14.3x21, 3 blade. I got this one again because I liked hot the first one performed on the boat.

This new one Vibrates bad. I had zero vibrations with props 1 & 2.

Is it possible to have a prop bad out of the box?

etracer68

Ensign
Re: New Prop vibration

Its not common, but I have heard of it. I would put the 4 blade back on, if it runs smooth, then you may have to send the three blade back. As long as theres NO wear what so ever. Do you have the pressed in center or one with a hub kit. If you have any damage to the hub it could vibrate too.

Depending on wot rpms, I think I would have went with an 18P on the four blade.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Anything is possible I would think you could return it.
You could put the 14 X 20 back on and see if the vibration is gone.

82rude

Rear Admiral

hang on there .you said you smacked the bottom also.put on a prop and spin it in neuteral and see if the propshaft is or may possibley be bent.it happens and if so a good machine shop can easily straighten it for you.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rpms with the 21 pitch are 4400. The 20 pitch 4 blade are 4500-4600. They are both in my operating range.

I am putting on a new trolling motor today, then headed to the lake again. I will toss on the 4 blade and I'd bet there is no vibration.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

hang on there .you said you smacked the bottom also.put on a prop and spin it in neuteral and see if the propshaft is or may possibley be bent.it happens and if so a good machine shop can easily straighten it for you.

I did hit bottom. It was at idle. That happened 2 years ago. Strange it would just start vibrating now.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I did hit bottom. It was at idle. " That happened 2 years ago". Strange it would just start vibrating now.
"that happened 2 years ago at idle", your keeping secrets. "Smacking bottom" doesn't sound like you were at idle.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't have any secrets. I was using my sonar looking for fish, a stick or something had to have pushed it up when driving across the lake. Thought I Was in 12 feet of water when I ended up striking the bottom at idle.

Believe what you like.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's more common than you'd think, and with some props more than others. If you've got a prop shop in the area, stop in and have 'em put it on the balancer.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Called Iboats, they shipped another prop out to me. No vibration now.