2005 Mercury 150 Not Starting / Any help is appreciated

SarasotaBoater

Recruit
Hello,

First post. Im looking for some help if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction...

I have an 18' mako with a 150 Mercury Saltwater 2 stroke. Haven't had any issues with the boat in the year that I've owned it. I let a friend take it out a few days ago (he owns a boat similar size but with no T-top and wanted the shade, I was working so I didnt mind). They went out 30 miles and fished for a while and when it was time to go in the boat would not start. Sea Tow came out and tried jump starting it. Boat would start but would go into "limp mode" then shut off. fuel gauge stopped working, but all other accessories still work. (lights, radio, depth finder, live well etc.) At this point we've looked for any loose wires under the center console, we've checked the fuses under the cowling of the outboard and nothing. All lights and accessories, other than trim tabs, and outboard trim work still. When I turn the key, there is no beep, no attempt at turning over, just nothing at all. If anyone could point me in the right direction as far as diagnosing the issue, I would be very appreciative. Thank you!

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2005 Mercury 150 Not Starting / Any help is appreciated

is thsi an Optimax or EFI? Either way first check kill switch or lanyard? if not that recheck fuse.

JDusza

Ensign

Try cdielectronics.com for ignition troubleshooting.
Good luck,
J

SarasotaBoater

Recruit

is thsi an Optimax or EFI? Either way first check kill switch or lanyard? if not that recheck fuse.

Thank you for the reply, I tried the kill switch, not part of the problem, it is an EFI sorry for not including that to begin with.

SarasotaBoater

Recruit

Try cdielectronics.com for ignition troubleshooting.
Good luck,
J

Thank you I'll give that a shot, if anyone else has experienced this issue, please feel free to chime in. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

aussiecorey

Recruit

So the motor turns over, starts, goes into limp mode and stalls?

Easy things first,

1. batteries read at least 12.8 when motor not running
2. When it starts and idles make sure volt gauge reads around 14.2 volts while running.
3. water pressure at least 2 psi on idle
4. I don't think temp is the problem as it stalls straight away.
5. Check all connections under cowl. Sensor connections or ECU plugs may be loose.

Do you have smart craft gauges?

These are pretty simple motors to work on.

SarasotaBoater

Recruit

So the motor turns over, starts, goes into limp mode and stalls?

Easy things first,

1. batteries read at least 12.8 when motor not running
2. When it starts and idles make sure volt gauge reads around 14.2 volts while running.
3. water pressure at least 2 psi on idle
4. I don't think temp is the problem as it stalls straight away.
5. Check all connections under cowl. Sensor connections or ECU plugs may be loose.

Do you have smart craft gauges?

These are pretty simple motors to work on.

The motor only starts when jumped directly at the outboard. Then shuts down. Will not start otherwise, no beeps no attempt at starting or turnover, nothing at all. Only the lights, stereo and depthfinder work at the moment.

aussiecorey

Recruit

The motor only starts when jumped directly at the outboard. Then shuts down. Will not start otherwise, no beeps no attempt at starting or turnover, nothing at all. Only the lights, stereo and depthfinder work at the moment.

Sounds like a bad connection from the battery to the starter solenoid.

Check both earth and power cable connections from the battery to the solenoid carefully. The earth connects to the engine block at the bottom of the starter motor.

Lights, stereo etc. don't need anywhere near the grunt the motor needs to turn over. So a loose / dirty connection wouldn't really affect them.

Actually bad wiring from the battery to the motor would not affect the accessories at all.

But it would affect engine related electrics such as starter and trim.
This is good to know as it isolates the problem to the power going to the motor only. Check the volts at the solenoid with a multi meter.
Also check the solenoid has no hair line cracks which cause loss of voltage.

Has anyone removed a Mercury prop shaft and had the cam follower fall out? If so, where did you find the follower? Mine is missing and fear it is in front of the forward gear.

Any help is appreciated.

Dukedog

Captain

Like said. Battery and/or connections, solenoid, possible key switch. Plain 'ole efi doesn't have a limp mode. Dies 'cause of no fuel.......

Dukedog

Captain

Has anyone removed a Mercury prop shaft and had the cam follower fall out? If so, where did you find the follower? Mine is missing and fear it is in front of the forward gear.

Any help is appreciated.

If you don't have a clue as ta what your doin' ya need ta have it done. Lotsa real gearcase guys won't even attempt fixin' it without tearin' it down.............

SarasotaBoater

Recruit

Sounds like a bad connection from the battery to the starter solenoid.

Check both earth and power cable connections from the battery to the solenoid carefully. The earth connects to the engine block at the bottom of the starter motor.

Lights, stereo etc. don't need anywhere near the grunt the motor needs to turn over. So a loose / dirty connection wouldn't really affect them.

Actually bad wiring from the battery to the motor would not affect the accessories at all.

But it would affect engine related electrics such as starter and trim.
This is good to know as it isolates the problem to the power going to the motor only. Check the volts at the solenoid with a multi meter.
Also check the solenoid has no hair line cracks which cause loss of voltage.

Im going to pick up meter tomorrow afternoon and check the voltage. I appreciate your help in pointing me in the right direction. This forum has been very helpful.. I'll let you know what I come up with incase it can help someone else in the future.