1986 Bayliner Ciera - Tilt Trim Issue

BrandonC83

Cadet
I will start from the beginning.

I just bought this boat last week and I am trying to troubleshoot all of the little problems the boat has so please bear with me.

My issue right now is the trim is not working, at the beginning I had power going to the relays but nothing coming out and the trim would not work. So I bought two new relays and replaced those however as soon as I connect the power the main 50 amp fuse blows, every single time since I have installed the new relays when I did that I could hear a clicking noise when I pushed up/down from the control panel even though the main fuse is blown.

I did match the wire numbers to the numbers on the relays so I believe the relays are hooked up right. The clicking sounds like it is coming from each relay depending on which way up or down you push the trim control.

Would appreciate any help or ideas on what may be causing this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 Bayliner Ciera - Tilt Trim Issue

Tilt and trim is not a bayliner problem, what engine/drive or outboard do you have?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to the VP forum.

What engine and outdrive do you have? Yes, it's important.

BrandonC83

Cadet

It says Volvo Penta - I'm not really a boat guy - I'm more a car guy so I'm lost . The out drive I'm not sure whatever this kind of boat came out with I'm sure...I know that isn't much help but if you tell me where to look I will try to identify

BrandonC83

Cadet

It says Volvo Penta - I'm not really a boat guy - I'm more a car guy so I'm lost . The out drive I'm not sure whatever this kind of boat came out with I'm sure...I know that isn't much help but if you tell me where to look I will try to identify

The serial number for the motor is KY0676WU - maybe that will help someone identify this thing. I have made some progress on the trim motor, apparently the new relays I bought were not the right ones or something because I went to a different parts store and bought two more in a different brand and it stopped blowing fuses. However I have come to the conclusion the tilt motor is shot. Would someone know what I need to replace it with? Not sure what part number to even look for. Thanks!