evinrude 55hp overheating

massvike34

Recruit
So i have a 1976 evinrude 55 hp outboard that runs fine and pee's water consistently, except when at full throttle.
When at full throttle, after about 30 seconds to a minute the overheating alarm goes off. One of my friends noticed the stream coming out the cooling system was not as strong when at full throttle so i had him look back at the prop area and we are all convinced the intake holes aren't being fully submerged in water. is there ANY way to correct this? The engine is moved down the the lowest possible setting on the boat (1989 16 foot maxum bowrider, dont know if that helps), but is there any way to get more water to the intake holes to prevent the motor from overheating? let me know with any possible suggestions anyone. it sucks having to keep it slow all the time.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: evinrude 55hp overheating

Did it ever function properly? Is this a recent install? Is this a short shaft engine on a long shaft boat?

massvike34

Recruit

just bought it in December, never ran at full throttle without overheating the many times ive take in out though

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the anti cavitation plate should be near parallel to the bottom of the boat. If its 6-7" above......its the wrong leg length for the boat

massvike34

Recruit

nope just checked, the anti cavitation plate is almost directly paralell to the bottom, however, there is a small plastic sensor like piece of plastic coming down right behind there, i dont need the piece since it doesnt go to the speedometer i actually use so could it be restricting waterflow to the intake?

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I agree with schematic. It may be worn to the point that it is slipping at higher RPM.

massvike34

Recruit

ok will do, although i just had the impeller and such replaced, it was done by a marina i had past issues with, so that may be the case