Johnson QD-16

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
I am new to these forums (been lurking for some time gathering info), and even newer to outboard "stuff." To say that I know less than nothing about engines is true.
Anyway, I picked up a 14' tin boat from a guy and got a couple of things thrown in with the deal. I received an older game fisher electric trolling motor, a 1960 Johnson QD-21, and a 1955 Johnson QD-16.
The QD-16 is in the nicest shape and the engine I want to play with at this time.

I know that these motors were originally setup to use a pressurized tank. This one appears to have been modified. Please look at the pictures and let me know what you think. I am almost sure that the thing in a couple of the pics is a fuel pump (that and there is a newer style fuel connector).
Where do the connections for the pump go? I would think that "in" is from the tank, and "out" is to the carb. Where is the pressure connection? Also, does the original pressure connection from the tank need to be plugged?

Anyway, any thoughts, or general chatter on this thing would be appreciated.

right.jpg rear.jpg left.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson QD-16

That is a fuel pump alright. In is from the tank and out goes to the carb. It appears to be operated by pulses through the bypass cover on which it is mounted.

Good pressure tanks are pure gold. I would sell it and replace with a vented tank set up for the JohnnyRude connectors and line.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

just make sure the pressure nipple behind/below the carb is plugged solid. the pump should work fine

cut the air pressure hose 1 inch passed the nipple, put in a large thread metal screw and silicone in it to plug it up.

clean & carb kit the carb

decarb with seafoam, run some amsoil at 16/1 for a tank of two then regulat tcw3 at 16/1

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good deal, thanks for the info guys.

What will running the amsoil do? It is synthetic oil, correct?

Do stores not carry amsoil? All I see are individuals.

Thanks!