What is the difference between batteries, trolling or starting?

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's time to get a new battery. I have a big twin gale 35 hp which dosen't charge the battery. I have a small trolling motor but want to get a bigger one. Should I get the marine starting battery or the trolling, rv battery? I only start it half a dozen times when out, and only use the trolling motor for getting back to ramp in case I have trouble and in tight shallow water. I always charge back up before I go out. I have been using used car batteries from a salvage place and have done ok for like $25. Hope I posted in the right forum.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What is the difference between batteries, trolling or starting?

Without getting too technical, starting batteries are designed to supply a large current to a starter and then (only if charged by the outboard) accessories. They do not do well if deeply discharged.

Trolling (Deep Cycle) batteries are designed to supply modest amounts of current over a long time until deeply discharged.

I have always used dual purpose batteries, which are a compromise between starting and deep cycle. My favorite is the Walmart Everstart Marine Maxx at about $75. Several other brands are identical, made by the same supplier.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What is the difference between batteries, trolling or starting?

Thanks JB, thats what I'll get!