Any fla fav destinations?

rasbury

Seaman
Heck, we have more water in Fl than the rest of the country and I don't see anything here! Perhaps we want to keep it to ourselves.....

My absolute favorite place is on the southwest coast of Fl. I live a little north of Orlando. Port Charlottee area, Cayo Costa, Little Gasperialla, Upper Captiva Islands are all boat in islands that are about the only "old Florida" left....The two islands (not Cayo Costa) have power and that's about it...boat in only from Pine Island. From there you can travel north or south on the inter costal with plenty of resturants or shopping but nothing on the islands- no cars, roads, stores etc. On Cayo Costa, there are a few homes you can rent by the week very reasonable and when we go in July pretty much have the island to ourselves. My wife and I are mid 50's raising two grand children and this is our week escape we have done for the last 3 years and getting ready to go again in July. Check it out on google earth, it's really cool area to go and RELAX on a vacation instead of chasing the big mouse ears around!!

mds47588

Cadet
Re: Any fla fav destinations?

Last year my wife and I trailered our boat 3hrs to Pensacola, put the boat in the water, and then ran the boat the 45 + - miles to Destin for the weekend. While Crab Island and Destin was great, the best part for me was the actual **trip** there in the boat once off of the trailer.

And we plan on doing it again this summer also.

noclutch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rasbury- funny you bring this up now. Me- I'm a St Johns and ICW east side guy for several years now, but I really want to get over to the west side! The problem I'm having is finding hotels with dockage. There seems to be a dearth of this type of accommodation on both coasts and St J, tough I have found a few (Conch House is my favorite and Camachee Cove in St A and some fishier types near Mantanzas; a couple around Hontoon and some questionable ones near Lake George)

But how about in the Tarpon Springs to Bradenton area?? The ICW ( nice and safe passage for the first timer) looks VERY appealing on the map, but very inhospitable to "transient" types like me who don't have a cruiser (mine is just a 20' bowrider I/O) and would like to dock for the overnight, dine and enjoy the local scene, with accommodations close to the boat and water, maybe pop back into the hotel mid day for some pool or tiki action, or check out and go to the next evenings destination.

One thing I did notice is that none of the very few places I did find in this area had floating docks, which are better for little craft than the big-pole-slips that seem to dominate the west coast ( and whats up with that??) I did see Treasure bay hotel and marina, and a Holiday Inn with "marina". There were a few hotels adjacent to municipal marinas that I need to pursue the transient/overnight policy/availability.

Suggestions?? I need to book something in that area soon!!!
Thanks!

kfa4303

Banned

Y'all come visit N.FL some time too. We have lots of great "Real"/"Old" Florida destinations. Check out St. George Island, Dog Island, St. Marks national wildlife refuge, the Aucilla, Econfina, and Wakulla rivers, Destin/Panama City and lots more.

kfa4303

Banned

Y'all come visit N.FL some time too. We have lots of great "Real"/"Old" Florida destinations. Check out St. George Island, Dog Island, St. Marks national wildlife refuge, the Aucilla, Econfina, and Wakulla rivers, Destin/Panama City and lots more.

Noclutch, check out Shields marina in St. Marks, FL. It's a full service marina with full access to the Gulf, Wakulla and St. Marks rivers. It's nestled in a small little fishing town of St. Marks which is about as Old Florida as you can get. If you want neon and Mickey Mouse this is NOT the place for you, but if you want beautiful scenery and water it can't be beat, and it's only about 20 minutes from Tallahassee, where we have anything you may need from the "Big City". They have a website that can give you more info if you need it.

TilliamWe

Banned

I don't think there is any bad place you can go in FL. I LOVE going to St. Augustine. I love going to Mt. Dora. I love going to Silver Springs. Tampa Bay/Hillsborough River is nice. etc...

All I can say to you who live in FL, I am tremendously jealous, but "Get out there and Go Boating!"

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think there is any bad place you can go in FL. I LOVE going to St. Augustine. I love going to Mt. Dora. I love going to Silver Springs. Tampa Bay/Hillsborough River is nice. etc...

All I can say to you who live in FL, I am tremendously jealous, but "Get out there and Go Boating!"

We like the Egmont key area...bradenton/sarasota intercoastal waterways...lots of areas to gunkhole...It is a must to have clear water with at least 10 ft visability!

nlain

Commander

I have visited several places in Fl and have found them all great places but just recently I went to the Apalachicola area, I gotta go back there. It is an area that is way behind in growth, that is part of what is so good about it. I will say that if you want fast food, you know, MD, BK, K you will not find them there, no Walmart, none of the big box places. I think most of the business there are locally owned and operated, they smile at you, they greet you, they even thank you for doing business with them, they go out of their way to help you. Things like asking if you are finding things, if not you get, wait let me look in the back I may have it there. There are a few places to stay with docks, there are a couple close to docks. The bay is beautiful, 7 miles across from Apalachicola is Little St George Is, you can go out there and spend the day, it you want something be sure to take it with you as there is nothing out there but water, sand, and sea gulls.

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Going to sarasota next weekend for the powerboat races...nice place to stay is ramada inn in sarasota. they have a seawall to tie up to with power. good food at the bearded clam and several bars there also

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the st. pete pier has dockage available at the vinoy basin. great place to spend the afternoon walking around the city.