1978 150h.p.Evinrude

charlie1975

Seaman Apprentice
I recently changed the water pump and now I have reverse and no forward.
Was never an issue with this before.I took shift rod to marina and they adjusted the shift rod to proper location.not sure what else it could be

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 150h.p.Evinrude

From your description, it's a little vauge as to what specific work the marina did. Did the marina remove the lower unit and adjust the shift rod height, or did they just adjust the shift cable in the lower engine cowling?

charlie1975

Seaman Apprentice

I removed the lower unit myself and took it to them so they could adj. the shift rod height.Started to have this issue immediately after changing waterpump so thought maybe that was the problem.

charlie1975

Seaman Apprentice

the prop engages when in forward or reverse.Reverse works fine but when I put it in forward it will just barely move.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There are two adjustments that can be made regarding shifting. The first thing is to make sure the shift rod in the lower unit is set at the correct height. (you have done that) Once the lower unit is back on, shift it by hand, prior to connecting the shift cable at the engine. The engine should shift normally through the F-N-R gears. If that manual shifting works, you may need to adjust the shift cable to match the manual shift pattern by turning the thumbwheel on the cable end. This adjustment will match the cable movement range to the hand shift movement range.