Battery and starter

DBCooper

Cadet
Would an undersized battery cause the starter to burn it out?

So the background is I got a call from my father who has a tritoon with a Johnson 130 outboard. He apparently had a local bubba come out to "dewinterize" the boat -- ie put a battery in the boat and turn it on. What was related to me was that his comments were the battery is undersized for the boat and will lead to the starter burning out.

The boat is 15 years old and has had the solenoid replaced once, but not the starter. I don't have any information right now on what battery is in the boat, but they have always been replaced with the same batteries that originally came in the boat from the manufacturer. I have been attempting to explain to my father that this clown is trying to take him for a ride, but wanted to confirm prior to showing up this weekend and sending this joker packing.

DB

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Battery and starter

It is more of a matter of a little bit of knowledge being dangerous!

A small battery is the same as a weak battery.
The slower the starter turns, the more current it draws and the hotter it gets.

The instant you power the starter, it is initially stopped, and draws extreme amounts of current. (1000+ amps)
A second later it is cranking the engine and the current is very reduced. (100-200 amps)

If the battery is too small for the job and the motor strains to just barely turn over, and requires more than 10 seconds to start; The started motor is going to get very hot in the effort and its life will be reduced.

If the starter cranks the engine at normal speed for over 10 seconds without starting, it is time for a tune up.

A group 24 or larger battery should be fine for that motor.
A lawn tractor battery would not!
If the battery cranks the motor at a healthy clip the battery is not too small.
Judge the battery size by how the starter sounds, not by the label on the battery.

DBCooper

Cadet
Re: Battery and starter

much appreciated Willie...and the simple answer is yes, the battery has always turned the starter at a very healthy clip and it has always started - a little more turning over with the first start of the season, but after that its fire and go