How do you set timing

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do you set timing on a 5.7gipmda? I have a rinda codemate, I tried to set the timing using it but the closest I could get it and still have the engine running was 20 degrees advanced.

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do you set timing

Ok I have a rinda codemate. I hooked it up to the mefi port and turned it on, I believe this puts the engine in service mode. I tried to adjust the timing to 8degrees but the closest I could get it was 20 degrees and still have the engine run. What am I doing wrong or what is broken? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thalasso

Commander

Look in the stickies. Click on Volvo.
MUST HAVE Technical Information for DIYers.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nothing in the stickies on timing the TBI engines. Too many different methods.

Here is the procedures from the manual make sure you are using the proper procedure.
You should be shooting for 8? BTDC.

MD Gi Timing.jpg

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a rinda codemate. Will this work to set timing or do I need a different mdtc tool? I tried the codemate and the closest I could get the timing and not stall the engine was 20 degrees. When I first checked the timing 2 days ago it was at 30 degrees advanced. What would cause this?

Don S

It should work, never tried one, so can't give much help on how well it works.
With your other issues with fuel pump pressure and who knows what else, very well could be why you can't get the timing down.

bluecollerboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok. I guess I have to start over. What would make my fuel pressure high?

Don S

You are asking too many overlapping things on too many different threads. This thread is about timing, you have two others about fuel, no need for a third. Besides it's confusing to follow.

As far as your timing, you need to get a piston stop and find actual TDC and see if your timing mark on the harmonic dampner is in the proper place.