helmsman spar urethane and paint

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a few pieces of wood that I am going to seal with satin spar urethane. I would like them to be white, not clear. Can I apply paint under/over the clear? If so, any paint recomendations for this application?

thanks

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: helmsman spar urethane and paint

I'm sure woodonglass has some some ideas. But here is my opinion, as I'm in the process also. The spar urethane has no UV blockers so, I would suggest enough coats to make you feel comfortable that the wood is sealed and a good oil based exterior paint or carpet over it. Water based paint, don't use for obvious reasons and Latex, will probably get tore up.

JohngeorgeIV

Cadet

I have also struggle on this top and actually called Minwax who told me to put the Helmsman on OVER latex paint. and said that was the only process he could gaurantee. I was also planning on going your same route with an oil based Exterior Paint. I am planning on putting several coats of helmsman and then scuffing it with 220 or 180. wanted to paint inside my boxes under casting deck white. and then grey in other areas. Planning on carpeting most areas

zool

Captain

You can just seal it with thin epoxy resin, sand, prime, sand, paint..... or you can just seal it with epoxy primer, and paint..

Ned L

Commander

Varnish under paint?? Why? you are wasting your time if you are using an oil bas paint. Prime & paint it with a good oil based enamel. I would also never recommend putting an oil base on top of a latex.

JohngeorgeIV

Cadet

Has anyone tried any of the acrylic Urethane Porch and Floor Paint? a couple companies are making products that the claim are durable enough for walking on, and water resistant. Any thoughts? I obviously know nothing about what paint is what otherwise I wouldnt ask? So maybe I am not waisting Time I just dont have a College degree in paint products like some experts in this area??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What are these pieces of wood? Where are they on the boat and what purpose do they serve? This can dictate the methods for sealing.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class

What are these pieces of wood? Where are they on the boat and what purpose do they serve? This can dictate the methods for sealing.

They are pieces to a seat base. The exterior is covered with vinyl. I would like to paint the inside with white paint of some sort instead of just a clear finish on the wood. The main reason I'm using helmsman is I have it already, and it has worked well in marine applications in the past for me. The part of the wood I want to paint white stay pretty dry and don't see much sun if that matters.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have wondered about doing something similar for side panels and speaker panels on my boat also. I have lots of spar urethane.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For that application, then thin the Helmsman with 10% thinner and put on two coats then two more Unthinned coats. Wait 48 hours then apply 2-3 Coats of Rustoleum High Gloss White Oil Base paint. It'll last for Decades!!!!!

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class

do you thin the first 2 coats to help in soak into the wood?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Penetration for the 1st two coats, after that it's all about encapsulation!!!

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thin with acetone or mineral spirits?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Mineral Spirits, don't want it to flash off to quick. Let's it penetrate longer.