gearbox rebuild help

pinkbits

Recruit
Serial 9446061 9.8 gearbox has water in it , ive removed impeller and seal carrier and have pulled on impeller shaft , bearing has moved a tiny bit but has stopped , what next ? And how do i get selector and drive shaft out of the top ? Any help would be great, reg

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: gearbox rebuild help

Your s/n comes up as:

9,8 9.8 2-cyl 9445986 9467611 1986 Belgium

From here:

Mercury 2-takt, 2-cyl, 9,8-15 hp, produktions?r, modellguide

Parts listing:

7.5 /9.8 H.P. - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

Service Manual p/n 90-86136--1

The first thing to do is replace item 37/39 under GEAR HOUSING (PROPELLER SHAFT) as these are notorious for allowing water entry. However, it seems that you are already into the gearbox. By seal carrier, do you mean item 62 under GEAR HOUSING (PROPELLER SHAFT)?

To remove the driveshaft, you have to first remove item 10/11 and 12 under GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT), then you can lift the driveshaft out.

Gerry

pinkbits

Recruit

thanks ,
ive got water pump im[peller housing off and seal and circlip and a few shims , ive tried pulling out drive shaft with a slide hammer with no success , any suggestions

carholme

Rear Admiral

As said in my previous post:

To remove the driveshaft, you have to first remove item 10/11 and 12 under GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT), then you can lift the driveshaft out.

Have you done this yet?

Gerry

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

In other words, there's a pinion gear held onto to the bottom of that shaft with a nut that's holding it in. Not sure why you'd need to remove the drive shaft though, as (if I'm not mistaken) the seals are accessible from the water pump area.

pinkbits

Recruit

In other words, there's a pinion gear held onto to the bottom of that shaft with a nut that's holding it in. Not sure why you'd need to remove the drive shaft though, as (if I'm not mistaken) the seals are accessible from the water pump area.

i missread sorry
, im pulling the whole thing apart as its had water in it since i used it last and i want it clean , ill change bearings also etc
ive taken out seal carrier on prop shaft and under that is a big bearing i can see , how do i get that out so i can get at pinion gear etc on bottom of driveshaft , cheers

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

i missread sorry
, im pulling the whole thing apart as its had water in it since i used it last and i want it clean , ill change bearings also etc
ive taken out seal carrier on prop shaft and under that is a big bearing i can see , how do i get that out so i can get at pinion gear etc on bottom of driveshaft , cheers

I'm not certain about yours, but with the larger motors, they all literally slide right out once the prop shaft is removed, save for the one behind the pinion gear (FWD I want to say?) which just takes a little maneuvering. My prop shaft came out with everything intact except that gear and the shift dog. Simple in design but effective. Somehow I think ultimately yours would just be a smaller version of the same, but maybe someone who has worked on these will chime in.

Take care to note where any shims may originate from!!