Blocked Seawater pickup on SX-M outdrive

dannybye

Cadet
I have a real simple question. I bought a 2000 Larson that has sat for 12 years under a lean-to. It only has 25.7 hours on the hour meter. I have replaced the raw water pump. Starter, Fuel pump, belts, fluids, thermostat. Installed the more modern flush system on the boat in the engine compartment that volvo has used since 2003 I think. Anyway thought I had every thing all set ... dropped boat in water today I have no pickup whatsoever from the water. What's even more perplexing I can not force water or air back through the outdrive through the pickup hose. I'm wondering if I have a blockage by muddobbers (spelling) inside the foot of the outdrive. Something is blocking the outdrive pickup plumbing. Any suggestions on how to clear/identify where the blockage might be? By the way throughout the boat I had to remove lots of muddobbers mud clumps in crazy places.

Dan

Let me add ... has anyone ever had this type problem on a Volvo outdrive? Is there any way to kind of snake the plumbing/pipes without destroying a seal or piercing something somewhere? If I have to take the drive apart where do I start?

Last edited:

dannybye

Cadet
Re: Blocked Seawater pickup on SX-M outdrive

Does anyone have an idea on what to do or how to begin clearing the blockage?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the drive and see if you get water from the raw water pump inlet hose to the pivot housing, it that is clear, then the drive has to be split.

Installed the more modern flush system on the boat in the engine compartment that volvo has used since 2003 I think.

Is the cap on the flush hose? If not, the pump will only suck air.

What engine do you have?

dannybye

Cadet

Cap is on ... My problem appears to be a blockage as I mentioned. Summer heat is killing me here in Pensacola at 66 yrs old I ache and hurt too much besides that .... soo ... the boat is at the Volvo mechanic as of today. I kind of figured that the drive was going have to be disemboweled oh well it's only money I've done all the rest of the stuff. While he's got it apart he can check/replace the bellows and check engine alignment too. I really wonder whether the original owner ever did his 20 hour check up ... So 12 years later it's going to get the rest of the looksee Thanks for your help Don

P.S. When it comes back I'm going to install Aquaflow raw water flow alarm. Not much on the net about them. Based on the instructions I think if it does what it should do I'll know of any failing sea water pump long before it goes completely. Anyone else using these alarm kits ?

oops it's a 5.0L glpefs and a sx-m outdrive

Last edited:

dannybye

Cadet

Don or anyone what do you mean by splitting the drive?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Separate the top half from the bottom half.