trouble with 115 evinrude

djwlbk

Cadet
Hi all and thanks in advance for any help. I just bought a 1993 stratos 264 fish and ski with a 1993 evinrude 115. First trip to water and it wont get on plane. It gets up to 3000 rpms butacts like it is bogging. In reverse or neutral it will fire up to 5000 easy. After I got back home I noticed a little water drip around the top right spark plug. Do you think this is my problem and if so how hard will it be to repair?

charlie1975

Seaman Apprentice
Re: trouble with 115 evinrude

I have a 150 hp evinrude and had the same issue last year.Took it to the marina and he told me to make sure at take off motor is tilted down as far as it will go.I wasn't to sure about his advise but tried it anyways and much to my surprise he was totally right.Might get lucky as I did

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The drip around the spark plug is probably a leaky gasket around the water jacket in the head. Not a big deal, and probably not related to your rpm issue. Make sure your engine is firing on all 4 cyls when under load. That engine may seem to run just fine in neutral when actually only running on 2/3 cyls.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do a cyl drop test on it and see if you can find out which cyl isn't firing.