89 evinrude 9.9

Just bought a 12 footer aluminum v-hull that came with a 1989 evinrude 9.9 converted to 15 hp. I was told the recoil spring had to be replaced, which I already ordered and is in awaiting pickup. But when I got home I lifted the gear so it engaged, and sounded like it wanted to turn over, but didnt. For 350 bucks for boat, trailer, and moter, I'm not too concerned. But does anyone have tips on this outboard?

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89 evinrude 9.9

Has it been sitting ? Try removing the plugs and putting a little gas in them and try to turn it over. I try to stay away from FRANKENRUDES

nwcove

Admiral

wrap a rope around the sheave on the flywheel and give it a few pulls.

Was actually gonna do that this weekend if I get time. Just gotta get this job do e and meet the deadline then I'm diving into to boat.

Ok new update. I put the new recoil clip on, and realized that the owner before me uses a screw to keep the tension spring where it should, altho there was a huge fail in that idea. It keeps popping out and slipping between the lock and jamming the gear that returns the pullcord. So, I need to just replace the whole assembly. But..... Not sure what that is called. I feel dense