1997 Fast Strike 115- Very hard cold start

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, I've read and followed the cold start procedures. It turns over and fires then dies immediately. I can turn it over 12 times like that with some turnovers not firing, then all of the sudden it'll fire up and run like a champ for the rest of the day. Once it's fired and run that first time, it'll fire up instantly. It has just started doing this within the past month or so. Before this, it was a couple times of priming and it fired up fine.

Re: 1997 Fast Strike 115- Very hard cold start

One possibility that comes to mind is the primer system not working. Can you hear the primer solenoid click when you press the key in? Once the engine is warmed up, while running at idle you should see a drop in rpms if you press the key in (because the primer system will be making the engine temporarily run rich).

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it uses the OSI ignition system it has to crank at a certain speed. I got embarssed at a shop because of a weak battery that sounded good but wasn't fast enough.

I've got a 1996 175 fast strike that is traditionally hard to get started the first time out for the season. The weak battery was what got me one time. When the shop guy told me it was the battery i had to count to 10+ and bite my lip to keep from saying what I thought about that. When he said he put a good test battery in it and it started fine I started to listen. He convenced me that system had to crank at a certain speed or it wouldn't start good or at all.

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm still having this problem. I was at the ramp for 10 minutes a couple days ago trying to get it to run. It will fire and die several times, then fire and run for about a second, then it will fire and catch up and run strong. The rest of the day it ran perfect. Started fine and idled great as usual.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Describe your starting procedure.

Jacob645

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I just found it. The primer solenoid wasn't clicking. Took the breather off to see what the deal was. Where the blue wire connected, was unplugged but still inside the plastic sleeve. Plugged her in and it's clicking now. Pretty sure that should solve it, but I can't test because I've already started and run it, so it will run fine until its cold again.