1984 johnson 6 hp info needed

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can anyone tell the good and bad about these motors? I am going to go look at it in the morning. supposed to have a new pump and a good title. Do they have a shift? what is the mix ratio? are they reliable? for me it would be a late model motor considering what other stuff I have. Please advise.
thanks ron

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1984 johnson 6 hp info needed

I have a '84 Johnson 8 hp and find it a great outboard. They do have a side shift (F/N/R). Oil mixture is 50:1. Mine is very reliable but each motor will be unique due to previous care and service. Generally they are good, reliable outboards but any purchase of a used outboard will have its risks. I usually replace the impeller on any new purchased used o/b. I've found more often than not I have to replace the power packs on OMC outboards in the '78 - '99 era (I've haven't purchased any o/b's of this century yet!) with a few months of purchase. Be sure to change the lower unit lube before you put it on the water.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Johnny 6HPs were great outboards if well cared for. If not well cared for they can be restored easy and relatively cheap. I actually prefer those of the 60s to the 90s because of the bulletproof magnetos.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips VB and JB. think I'll spend my money on that new battery for now and get Gale Sea King finished.