16' Lund Aluminum boat

Mick50cal

Cadet
Hello every one! I need help! I want to take my 16' aluminum boat out to the Huntington Flats and I would like to know if it would be safe enough to take? It has a 25hp Suzuki outboard on it! Thanks

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Lund Aluminum boat

Sure!... uhhh... what in the heck are the 'Huntington Flats' ??

Mick50cal

Cadet

It's a about 2 miles off theshore in Huntington Beach California
Not really sure how to describe it!

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have fished a 16' Lund in some pretty big water in SE Alaska and they are good little boats but hardly ocean warriors. If it were me, I would want to the ocean to be calm, the forecast to be excellent.... and the motor exceptionally well maintained. Do you have a VHF or cell reception there? I would want both (besides the calm water and good forecast)

Expidia

Commander

Not really worth the risk to you or worse . . . a passenger. If you're even asking this question it shows inexperience on the water. Oceans and big lakes conditions can change very quickly. 2 years ago on a perfect day on lake champlain in vermont on my 15 foot aluminum with the max rated outboard on it . . . VFH radio and cell phone with service . . . Didn't make any difference. Left town of Burlington's dock weather perfect, for a bay only a couple of miles away where my trailer was parked. A freak wind storm appeared out of no where. Wind gusts to 50 mph. Bay churned up to 5-6 foot waves. Max hp outboard meaninless as I could only travel a few miles an hour trying to angle bow into each rolling oncoming wave. I was trying to steer the boat towards the lee side of an island about 1/2 mile away. 30 minutes of this horror show and winds suddenly disappeared and sun was shining again. Next day local newspaper was reporting a freak windstorm hit parts of lake champlain with 50 mph gusts. It really felt like what happened in the movie "the perfect storm" and I have probably 46 years of boating experience!
Keep reading these forums, you will come across threads where boaters ask questions like "i'm thinking of crossing "Lake Michigan" in my small rig and do people here think its good idea . . . You will always get the responses back "sure, i've done it many times". We never hear back from the ones that didn't make it though :D

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Two miles is nothing, but ocean waves can be really big, really quick. Got any friends with boats? a group of boats is always better than going solo. Describe your Lund, maybe post a picture of it.

Mick50cal

Cadet

Thank all of you guys for Your input! i really appreciate it! It's a deep v 16' aluminum boat 1100 lb
capacity 25 Horsepower will try to load some pictures! Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

2 miles of CALM is nothing but if you are in over your head when it whips up 2 miles can kill you 100 times over

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I owned a 16' Lund and it is no ocean boat despite what the crazies in Alaska do with it (apologies to the crazies in Alaska). I note you do not have a gas kicker. That electric will do nothing against a tide. Without a gas kicker, I'd say no. A solid bow dodger would add an element of safety as well.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I owned a 16' Lund and it is no ocean boat despite what the crazies in Alaska do with it (apologies to the crazies in Alaska). I note you do not have a gas kicker. That electric will do nothing against a tide. Without a gas kicker, I'd say no. A solid bow dodger would add an element of safety as well.
I will agree with you on this, that's a small boat to be counting on, others will say no problem and they may be right, but it's that one time it does kick up that would cause me to say no thanks. And I owned a Lund too, just a little bigger one.