Troubleshooting livewell

atstech

Recruit
I have a 2003 Starcraft Aurora 2015. It has a livewell. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not. When it does work it seems to only work as much as to fill up the tank, then quits. When I flip the switch, I can hear the pump ever so quietly. So I'm at home ready to troubleshoot. First thing I want to do is make sure there is no gunk or debris in the line but I don't know where the water intake is at.

Please see the attached photo. Is the one on the right the intake for the livewell? If so, how do I get it off? I have tried twisting it with no luck. Maybe I should get a wrench?

What is the other hole with the rubber flap on the left side?

P.S. I am a new boat owner.

Thanks.
livewell.jpg

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Troubleshooting livewell

Yes, the one on the right is the livewell intake and it's usually screwed in and bedded in some caulking. The one on the left with a rubber flap (a scupper), is probably the livewell drain.

Did the pump always run or only sometimes? If it's intermitent, I'd first diagnose the electrical part of the system and make sure the pump is working. Locate the pump itself, somewhere in the bilge under the splashwell. There should be a brown (or red) and a black wire connected, approx. 18" long, ending with a bullet-style dual connector. Disconnect it and connect them directly to a battery or power-pack to check if the pump is working. If so, the trouble is somewhere "upstream", probably in the switch.

If it always run but doesn't fill the livewell, look for debris. Could be the intake but, most possibly, in the pump base. It's usually pretty tight there but, if it's this style, you could press the tabs, very carefully, and pull the pump out of its base, but they often broke...

pump.jpg

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Troubleshooting livewell

is this boat new to you. I dont know alot about live wells, but i have heard about them having timers you can set to freshen up the water in the well. hold tight i am sure someone with more knowledge on these will be along to help