Inherited lark IV on Giesler cedar strip- ignition wiring

kingstonontario

Recruit
HI everbody. Im new to the forum and new to this boat that I inherited. Its a Giesler Georgian Bay 18 ft cedar strip. It didnt come with a motor but I also inherited a 1962 Evinrude Lark IV 40 hp (35530l). The problem is with the ignition switch. the one on the boat has 4 connection posts. I attacheda picture. I wondered if it was possible to use this ignition with the motor and if so how would I wire it?
I know the acc post is for an accessory and the bat is likely to the battery. that leaves me with ign wich would be ignition.
But the wires I have are 2 black, 1 white and 1 blue. (I think the blue is to the battery and the white is the igition) What would I do with the others?
Any help would be appreciated

ignition.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Inherited lark IV on Giesler cedar strip- ignition wiring

You need a switch like this, with 2 M posts. Here is your wiring diagram.

Wiring1962-63JE40HPWithoutGeneratorverifiedfr.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get the proper switch and follow HighTrims diagram. The switch you have looks like automotive.

kingstonontario

Recruit

Thank you very much for your very quick reply. I will be ordering one Monday.
In the mean-time is there a way to get the motor started without an ignition so that I may test it?
Tell me if my theory is correct. From the look of the diagram the black wires are for motor shut off. So I can shut the motor off with the choke for now. Can I just cross the white and green wire to get it started?
Thanks a very much that diagram is very helpful.

lindy46

Captain

If the green wire is 12 volts from the battery and the white connects to the small terminal next to the large battery terminal on the starter solenoid, then, yes, jumping them should kick over the starter. There must also be a ground wire from the other small solenoid terminal back to the engine, usually through the side terminal of the cut-out switch and then up to the neutral safety switch.