Mirrorcraft boats

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a chance to pick up a 14' Mirrocraft riveted, aluminum boat. It's powered with a 35hp Johnson engine and it looks like a nice boat. I've never owned a riveted boat and I'm a little concerned about strength, leaking etc. Have you guys had any experience with these boats? Am I being overly concerned? Thanks

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mirrorcraft boats

Is it a Deep Fisherman? What year is it? I've had my 16 ft Mirro with a 35 hp Evinrude for 33 years. Does about 23 mph (GPS) with me and the wife. It's taken some heavy poundings and has never had a leak. The only problem I ever had was the transom corner braces. The rivets worked themselves loose. I just drilled them out and replaced them with bigger ones plus a few extra. Now for the disclaimer. They use to be good boats but I saw a 5 year old Mirro that was made so cheap I don't think I would even want to be in it. Not sure when that happened.

DLH

Mi duckdown

Commander

ljc. if possible, take it for a sea trial before the purchase. Riveted boats are fine.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

That boat has been heavily modified.

It originally had 3 bench seats, and no floor.

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe, do you think that's a problem?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Think I'll comment on the 5 year old crappy boats. As a retired past plant manager for MirroCraft I can say that the model of boat were talking about is made the same way with the same materials and even some of the same people today that it was when originally designed back in the 70's. I'll also say the modifications could be a problem. The boat was not built to carry the extra weight and the original seats were part of the hull strength and contained the required flotation foam for an emergency situation. Having said that if whoever did that did it right it COULD be OK, though I'd be worried.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

........... I'll also say the modifications could be a problem. The boat was not built to carry the extra weight and the original seats were part of the hull strength and contained the required flotation foam for an emergency situation. Having said that if whoever did that did it right it COULD be OK, though I'd be worried.

I own a 1984 Model of that same boat and it is a great piece of equipment. I've used it hard over the years and there is still no sign of any leakage. I once took the front seat out to do some modifications to the seat. It was immediately apparent that the seat provided strength and rigidity to the hull as well as flotation. If the floor adds those things back in and the present owner could prove that it did, then I might be interested in it. Otherwise I, too would be worried and would probably walk away.