help 1990 force 90hp

ERA

Seaman
morning everybody
im new here and new on boats motor as well

k here's the problem i have 1990 force 90 want to change piston for it so i took off the powerhead and while i was taking it off the case . small pieces looks like tube fall off and i have no idea where they come from please check the pics and let me know if ya know where thay come from
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0628.jpg
zzzz.jpg

thnx

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: help 1990 force 90hp

Those are plastic tubes held inside the midleg by the stainless clips attached to them. They plug into two holes in a flange inside the midleg. They are broken which is probably why they came out. They regulate the amount of cooling water that stays inside the midleg. This helps to keep the exhaust downtube (at the bottom of the engine) cool.

Since earlier Chrysler and Force engines did not have them, it is possible to run the engine without them. However, the engineers and designers did put them thee for a reason so it would be better if you did replace them---assuming they are not obsolete parts.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Those are your stand tubes item# 25 in the diagram. They go into the housing item# 14. If you look down into the housing, you'll see two holes towards the rear of the housing. That's where they go. They just snap into place. The plastic gets hard and brittle and falls apart and the tubes fall out of place.

They are not 100% necessary, and I know a lot of folks don't bother to re-install them since they are broken and no longer available. I had the same issue. I just took a piece of 1/2 inch hard copper plumbing tube, soldered a standard male copper threaded pipe fitting on the end. Cut the copper tube to the right length. Tapped the two holes in the housing and just screwed the replacements into place. The holes just happened to be the right diameter for a standard pipe tap. Can't remember the size right off hand, but it worked like a charm.

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - MOTOR LEG - FORCE 1990 90 H.P. "B" MODELS

ERA

Seaman

you guys are the best that was perfect answer to ma question . thank you very much