Gas can adapter for outboards.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
A number of years ago I saw something that replaced the standard cap on a gas can (just a plain gas can) so that the can could be used as an outboard motor supply. Does anyone know if they are still sold?

DLH

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Gas can adapter for outboards.

Ever since C.A.R.B. went into effect a few years ago, I don't think you could legally market something like that anymore.
You might find it as an Old Stock Item on ebay if you are lucky.

oldjeep

Admiral

Ever since C.A.R.B. went into effect a few years ago, I don't think you could legally market something like that anymore.
You might find it as an Old Stock Item on ebay if you are lucky.

CARB? Isn't that a California only thing? (California Air Resource Board)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

One reason the cans made for the job are better is their low profile; no risk of the can turning over in the boat. And the "sending unit" is securely attached.
Better to carry a regulation boat can, and a funnel of you also carry a jerry can reserve, even though filling a boat can from a jerry can can stir up some opposition as well.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

One reason the cans made for the job are better is their low profile; no risk of the can turning over in the boat. And the "sending unit" is securely attached.
Better to carry a regulation boat can, and a funnel of you also carry a jerry can reserve, even though filling a boat can from a jerry can can stir up some opposition as well.

Years ago I was in on a portage with a motor that had built in gas tank. The boat we had was one I call a car topper. You know one of those little 14s that one person can put on top of his car by himself. The wind came up and we had 18 inch waves. Was that fun standing up in the back of the boat trying to fill the motor. I think I got more gas in the lake than in the motor. On top of that I knocked the motor's gas cap into the lake and had to use a baggie and fishing line in it's place.

DLH

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don,

It's was a mental picture of myself in that situation that just prompted me to buy the world's most expensive gas can for my Tohatsu 3.5. I bought some one liter MSR fuel bottles and the tank holds one liter. Hopefully I won't pollute anything by overfilling.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Years ago I was in on a portage with a motor that had built in gas tank. The boat we had was one I call a car topper. You know one of those little 14s that one person can put on top of his car by himself. The wind came up and we had 18 inch waves. Was that fun standing up in the back of the boat trying to fill the motor. I think I got more gas in the lake than in the motor. On top of that I knocked the motor's gas cap into the lake and had to use a baggie and fishing line in it's place.

DLH

I was coming in from duck hunting after a northeaster kicked up on a barrier island--14' jon boat, winds around 30, the marsh was 2-3 feet under water and the ocean was coming over the dunes. A big tree blew by and snatched half the decoys.
Ran out of gas on the way in but no worries, I had thrown a spare can in the boat. problem was, it's hose fitting was Yam and I had an OMC hose, so we had to pour from one boat can into another, no funnel and no bailer or bottle to make one.
So do you get out of the wind and spill it into the boat, or go on the side and blow half away? We weren't far from safety so we did the latter. It was great to get to the house!

Our motto: Anyone who doesn't love this is crazy!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

So do you get out of the wind and spill it into the boat, or go on the side and blow half away? We weren't far from safety so we did the latter. It was great to get to the house!

Forgot option #3, plan better so you don't run out of gas, ever!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I was coming in from duck hunting after a northeaster kicked up on a barrier island--14' jon boat, winds around 30, the marsh was 2-3 feet under water and the ocean was coming over the dunes. A big tree blew by and snatched half the decoys.
Ran out of gas on the way in but no worries, I had thrown a spare can in the boat. problem was, it's hose fitting was Yam and I had an OMC hose, so we had to pour from one boat can into another, no funnel and no bailer or bottle to make one.

Our motto: Anyone who doesn't love this is crazy!

How about cut the fitting off the tank end of the good hose, and stick it into the tank full of fuel?

BTDT when I had a cracked fitting and it was sucking air. Stuck a rag into a ziplock bag and wedged it into the tank opening to hold the hose in place, and took off 6 miles up the river.

Hmmm, this happened to me in my 14' tinny as well. Maybe its the 14' tinny jinx?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

That's why I bought a 16' tinny. Those 14's are nothin' but trouble... :)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

well i guess if I were perfect like you two I wouldn't have gone out duck hunting in a northeaster to begin with. The od guy at the club told us we were wasting our time. Anyway, I believe in living my life so I'll have lots of stories to tell my grandchildren.

And now I know about cutting the line, and other options. Always learning. plus, in the middle of a storm getting worse, and getting dark, you recall that when you are ***-deep in alligators, you forget you came to drain the swamp!

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

UncleWillie

Captain

CARB? Isn't that a California only thing? (California Air Resource Board)

Yes, it WAS!!

Around 2011 the Feds decided it would be good for all of us.
That is why you can't buy a basic Plastic Jerry Can to carry gas in anymore. :mad:

Nearly every boat engine made today now has a catalytic converter, at the added cost of a few thousand dollars.
The cost of a new boat with a 4 cylinder engine jumped over $4000 when it went into effect.

There is already talk of catalytic converters on your lawn Mower. :facepalm: