Transducer mount question

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Getting ready to mount the transducer for my humminbird 858 and the manuel suggest locating it on the starboard side due to the clockwise rotation of my prop. The only problem with that is my boat is already drilled out for a kicker to go on the right side of the outboard. Any idea how much it might affect it mounting it on the port side? I can get a lot farther than 15" away from the c/l of the prop which it calls for no matter which side you place it.Thanks

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Transducer mount question

I never understood the logic behind the Port/Starboard recommendations.
Plenty of people ignore the instructions and they all work just the same.
Until someone come up with a believable explanation that sounds like,
"Mount it on the Starboard Side, BECAUSE if you mount it on the Port Side ______ " ???

Put is where the cable routing it is most convenient to you.

I will add the Do Not mount it directly in front of the Prop, BECAUSE there is a chance the transducer will introduce turbulence to the water flowing into the prop and increasing the risk of the prop Ventilating at high speeds.
As long as you are at least outside of the AV Plate you should be fine.

UncleWillie

Captain

This particular manual explains it in section 1:
http://www.humminbird.com/pdf/transducer_faq/TransomInstall.pdf
I have seen other manuals that explain the same thing.

That is the same instruction sheet that came with my HumminBird Sonar.
After re-reading it three times, their reasoning is that the propeller produces less turbulence on the Descending Blade side of the prop. Port for LH Props, Starboard for RH Props.
And 15 inches to the side will also assisting in getting the Transducer out of any prop-wash.

This makes complete sense if you have an Inboard Engine where the Transducer is naturally installed behind the Prop.

It appears to me that something got lost in translation and the instructions just give blanket advice to everyone to do the same. It certainly will not cause any problem to mount it as instructed, but if you are dealing with any installation where the Transducer is forward of the Propeller, you are limiting your options by following their instructions.

My recommendation is that if you have an I/O or OB, the choice of side is yours.
Staying outside of the AV Plate is recommended to avoid have the Transducer Interfere with the Prop Inflow.
I am not convinced this is a real problem but will mention it just to be overly safe.

Anecdotally;
In the process of installing my side scan transducer, I followed their instructions.
The results were that the Left Side view was full of bubble interference from the Transom.
I contacted the manufacturer for a solution to the issue.
There response was to send me a link to a bunch of Photos of Down-Scan Transducers sent in by other users as examples of successful mounting locations. This was of NO help in relation to mounting a Side Scan Transducer.
I was disappointed and not very impress to say the least.
Apparently the manufacturer has little expertise in real world applications of their products.

The final solution was to mount the Transducer Lower and CLOSER to the Prop.
It now has a clean image to both side in all operating conditions.

SideScan3.jpg

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I figured if it was far enough away from the prop, no matter which way the spin I would be alright. Having said that, I also have screwed things up a few times by not asking questions! Thanks for the input fellas