Need help to install transducer

josephsiracusa

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1987 bayliner 2450 with a volvo 275 sterndrive, the drive carries a L h propeller which i assume spins counter clockwise. i am installing a transducer, do install it to the opposite side of direction prop spins or to the same side it spins? in my case my prop spins counterclockwise so do install the transducer on the starboard side? need some help please and thanks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Need help to install transducer

First verify which way it spin's. are there instruction's with it?

UncleWillie

Captain

How does the direction that the prop spins have any effect on a Transducer that is well in front, and to the side, of the prop? :confused:
Mount it where the cabling result in the neatest installation.

It is recommended to Not mount it directly in front of the Prop, BECAUSE there is a chance the Transducer will introduce turbulence to the water flowing into the prop and increasing the risk of the prop Ventilating at high speeds.
As long as you are at least outside of the AV Plate you should be fine.
Port or Starboard side is at your convenience.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Install on the side where the propeller blade is rotating downwards. For counter clockwise that will be the port side. Reason is that the opposite side gets more water turbulence deeper where the transducer will see it. Many depth sounder instructions state this.