Upper bearing play?

kman61

Cadet
Hi. I have a 1996 88 SPL that I rebuilt this past winter and now have about 4 hours break-in time on her. I have followed the break-in procedure to a tee including oil pre-mix (no VRO). She starts, idles and runs great?no problems there. Now here is the concern which was not noticed until the 2nd time I took it our following the 1st full hour of break-in. Between approx 2500 ? 3500 RPM I can hear a distinct clicking that seems consistent with the RPM, can?t hear it before of after that. I wouldn?t call it a knock as it sounds higher pitched. Kind of reminds me of the days we placed baseball cards in the bike spokes.
So following some advice I read here I tried to check for rod bearing play in each cylinder by inserting a drift through plug holes and checking for any piston movement / play about TDC and found nothing. I followed that up with a compression test and got 130, 120, 120, 120. When I rotate flywheel by hand with no plugs I cannot detect any noise / clicking, etc. other than water pump impeller friction in lower unit.
Now I did notice that, when turning the flywheel by hand, there seems to be some play in the crankshaft at the upper bearing area that I can feel & hear if I push & pull on the flywheel. I have no idea if I had this same play before the rebuild as I had never looked for, nor noticed it. I have a second parts motor which I checked against and did not feel any play in that motor, however that motor is somewhat bound up so I?m not sure it?s a good benchmark. Would anyone know if this ?play? is somewhat common and should be of concern? The bearings seemed to look and feel fine at rebuild so I didn?t replace.

Crankcase items I did replace: all wrist pins, clips & WP bearings, center main bearing. Rod cap bolts, 2 new pistons, all new rings (1 bore & 3 honed) all new seals. I did not replace upper nor lower bearing assemblies as they both seemed fine and did not replace large crank rod bearings as they seemed fine as well.
I rebuilt the motor because I broke a ring in one cylinder (#3) and was actually missing a section of piston between the rings on another (#1).

Re: Upper bearing play?

there seems to be some play in the crankshaft at the upper bearing area that I can feel & hear if I push & pull on the flywheel.

Which direction are you moving the flywheel when you feel this little bit of play, side to side or up and down?

kman61

Cadet

Sorry, that would be side-to-side. And I verified it is not a loose flywheel as well.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Maybe a problem in the lower unit ??