water coming from top exhaust ports

mattmatteson

Cadet
hey,

I changed my upper shaft seals and impellor in my LU yesterday when I cranked it up today with earmuffs water was spraying out of the pee hole and there was water pouring out of my uppr 2 exhaust ports. its an 89 evinrude 60hp. Help!!!???

daselbee

Commander
Re: water coming from top exhaust ports

Is that all you did? Did you put a WP kit in, or JUST THE IMPELLER as you state? Did you use an original OMC part, or did you use a Sierra impeller? Here is why I ask....WP pressure is tricky. If you substitute a new impeller in, possibly from a non-OMC supplier, the WP pressure can be too high, forcing the pop off valve off it's seat at idle. I have had this happen to me on a V4 140, 1979. I used a Sierra kit for both the WP and the thermos. There is a spring in the thermostat assembly that balances the pop off valve against the WP pressure, and it is all critical. So, I suspect you have a higher pressure impeller/kit installed, and the spring in your thermostat assembly is not matched to the new pressure. Please post back on what parts you used for this maintenance. I am very interested.

mattmatteson

Cadet

I used Johnson/evinrude omc parts. It was also hooked up to a water hose that has a little higher pressure than most. This is the first time I have ever done something like this to a marine motor. It alarmed me. I spoke to my mechanic and he said it should be fine that it was the idler relief valve.

daselbee

Commander

Idle relief valve...yes...pop off valve, poppit valve...same part. But, if hose pressure is causing it, then run it in the river, lake, etc. and see if it is still doing it. I don't consider it normal.

daselbee

Commander

And, consider this: If the hose pressure was causing it, then it would shoot water out the ports as you describe....even with the engine OFF! Did it?

mattmatteson

Cadet

it did not shoot out of the top ports in the off position but did everywhere else. I don't know when the last time the impellor was changed could it be not use to the pressure and just a pop off valve opening up? and is it safe to run like this? it ran fine this morning and water was coming out of the pee hole. just never seen water come out of the two top ports in that quantity before

mattmatteson

Cadet

could I try putting the motor in a big barrel and running it ?

mattmatteson

Cadet

and if this "pop off valve" is the problem can it be fixed by replacing the thermostat

daselbee

Commander

Run it in the barrel. Same as water (lake, river). Try that before worrying about fixing the pop off. In other words, let the water pump do ALL the pumping. No outside influences like hose and muffs. Another thing, I will retract the part about shooting water out when engine off as I posted above. Will not happen. I regularly lift the pop off valve when the hose is directly connected to the water tube for testing purposes. That was what I was thinking....

mattmatteson

Cadet

ran it in a barrel still doing the same thing. It isn't peeing at the same quality and quantity as it was before. Is it possible that the pump tube and the water intake tube did not line up correctly when I re installed the lower unit? it seems like the whole lu housing is filling up with water.

daselbee

Commander

Powerhead overheating? Remove thermostat and housing, start engine, and see if water gushes out the thermostat seat. If it has water up at thermo, unlikely that you missed the water tube. But, anything's possible....

mattmatteson

Cadet

don't think its overheating because water was coming out of the pee hole just at not a high of a pressure as normal. I dropped the lower unit and the tubes were connected right. IDK what it could be.

mattmatteson

Cadet

just realized the the o ring that goes on top of the water pump housing is missing. Could that be whats causing my issues?