1998 90 hp johnson oceanrunner problems

redman09

Cadet
This motor runs amazing as all ways at first and runs great as long as Im running on plane, but as soon as I bring it down to ideal it dies, it will restart but dies soon after. Ive changed plugs, fuel filter, went through the carbs, put new thermostats and springs in it because there wasnt any in it, and ordered a power pack that hasnt came in yet, any ideas to what could be the issue?

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 90 hp johnson oceanrunner problems

suspect power pack or coil seems to me its not getting enough spark to ignite the fuel at idle \or your ideal

redman09

Cadet

thank you for the reply, Im hoping that the power pack will fix the problem, that is the only thing that I cant eliminate as causing the problem

redman09

Cadet

It seems to only start happening after the motor is warm and that is making me unsure of what could cause this

durban

It seems to only start happening after the motor is warm and that is making me unsure of what could cause this

bear in mind that stators do give off less voltage if they are damaged & this normally happens when they get warm \hot

durban

when the windings in the stator gets warm & some of the coating on the copper wire is damaged & touches another copper wire next to it with the coating also damaged it does not produce the correct current its designed for 2 ways you can test 1 test is down to earth test the other one for resistance get the correct resistance figures for the amount of amps your stator is rated at CDI will have all the figures for you

redman09

Cadet

Thanks a lot, Im going to try and test it and will update as soon as Im done

redman09

Cadet

One more question, CDI doesnt really make it clear if I should check the stator disconnected while the engine is running or not, to me this doesnt sound like a good idea disconnecting the stator while the engine is running?

daselbee

Commander

You better back off and re-think this issue. If you did not clean the throttle body plates, behind the small plates (2 screws) on the side, OR the very small brass tube extending down into the fuel bowls, then the engine will do as described...no idle. Durban...35 amp spec on a stator has to do with the battery charging coils on the stator. The coils that energize the ignition are totally independent. Besides, there is no way a shadetree can easily measure the 35 amp output of a stator.....most shadetrees anyway. You might, I can't. 35 amps is a ton of amps....

redman09

Cadet

I think Ill just wait until the new power pack comes in and see if that fixes the issue

redman09

Cadet

The resistance from the stator is within specs, but thats as far as I am going with the stator, until the power pack is replaced with a new one

redman09

Cadet

And I would rethink the carbs if it was a constant idle problem but it only happens after the boat has been ran a bit

daselbee

Commander

As I said, re-think it. PP will not fix this. You did not even address my main point....DID you or DID YOU NOT clean the throttle plates, specifically the tiny idle fuel supply holes (maybe 3-5 thousandths in size) that are behind the small plates on the sides of the throttle bodies? The reason I say this is that very few even know that this must be done. Very few. I even heard "certified OMC mechanics" say it doesn't need to be done. It does.

redman09

Cadet

I disagree about the pp not fixing this I cleaned every hole I could find on and in the carbs and the throttle bodies put back together ran and had the same problem it is not a fuel issue at this point, I am new to this website and to this specific problem, but I am not new to outboards, not trying to start an argument, I really do appreciate the help. How can you be so sure the pp will not fix this?

redman09

Cadet

Another reason I think the pp is the problem is because when it died on me in the river it wouldnt start at all, I removed the pp from the motor for a few minutes then reinstalled it and the motor started and got me going on plane again but once I throttled down when approaching the ramp it died

daselbee

Commander

Another reason I think the pp is the problem is because when it died on me in the river it wouldnt start at all, I removed the pp from the motor for a few minutes then reinstalled it and the motor started and got me going on plane again but once I throttled down when approaching the ramp it died
Hmmm...didn't post that earlier.....ok you cleaned the areas I was concerned about. I will bow out of this discussion. Good luck.

jsunstar

Recruit

hey. did you replace the PP? did it help? im having the same issue and wanted to see it it worked...
please follow up!
thanks

redman09

Cadet

I did replace the pp and it did NOT fix my problem, I bit the bullet and took it to my mech, Ill post what he found out as soon as I know.