I pick up my Q5i SF on Saturday, and I'm really excited!

mach'er

Cadet
Well, the title says it all. I've had two boats previously, but both were fishing boats. First was an old Lund Tri-Hull with a 20hp tiller outboard. Then a 16' deep V aluminum single console bass boat with a 40hp outboard. Last summer we went on a family vacation, and a relative had rented a SeaRay 195 Sport. One daughter spent the week on that boat and had an absolute blast. I started looking then, and finally pulled the trigger on a 2013 Tahoe Q5i SF with the 220 hp motor. I am putting a Lorance HDS 5 on it, as well as adding the i Pilot to the Minn Kota trolling motor - as I still have to be able to feel like I can fish.

Needless to say, this is a big change in boat type for me. Opens up things I've never had to even think about before. So, here are my initial questions that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

First, I was looking at a towable tube. It is a three person type. The tube's literature states to pull it with a lifting eye, not a ski hook. Is the tow eye on the back of the Q5i capable of the load created with a three person towable?

Second, I'm only going to have one real chance for a shakedown run prior to trailering 500 miles to a week long trip to the lake. Any recommendations for particulars in putting her through her paces prior to the trip? Would like to avoid any surprises while out in the wild.

Finally, as I've said, I've never driven this type of boat previously. Any good reference sites out there for novice tow drivers? Any suggestions for someone starting at step one? I'm sure this boat is going to be a blast for a long long time, but I absolutely need to keep the activities safe for my seven and eight year olds.

Thanks for any input or suggestions!

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I pick up my Q5i SF on Saturday, and I'm really excited!

Congrats!!!

On a new boat like that i would pay particular attention to the break in period and recommendations from Mercruiser - they have some guidelines for run hours and RPM's....seems like the break in lasted forever for me! not going too low on RPMs for more then a little while (1500 rpm iirc) is recommended.

Definitely recommend checking fluids after first time out - my power steering was low and my trim fluid was super high (causing leak from cap)

valconn

Recruit

Congrats! We picked up our 2013 Q5i two weeks ago and have had it out twice now. I'm absolutely loving it! We haven't towed anyone yet so I can't help you there, I would just try to get your break in done before your big trip so when you are ready to really get at it and have fun you aren't worrying about breaking in the engine.

I have seen people tow 2-3 kids on a tube using the tow hook on the back, I wouldn't think it would be an issue but I know nothing in that department.

Have fun!!

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the tow hook will get loose after a while. I towed a two man tube with it for two seasons. Had a blast although it started to come loose. just take a wrench and tighten it back down. it your towing adults I would suggest a towing harness. the tow ring is only connected to the hatch through the fiber glass with two nuts.

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First, Congrats!!

Second, I'm only going to have one real chance for a shakedown run prior to trailering 500 miles to a week long trip to the lake. Any recommendations for particulars in putting her through her paces prior to the trip? Would like to avoid any surprises while out in the wild.

We bought our 2012 Q5i last July. Picked it up on Saturday, and drove it 600 miles to Virginia. first time it was in the water was 11 hours away from home :-/ All went well. While never owning my own boat, I'd been around them on and off through my life..

Just make sure you plug up the drain holes, and take of the straps when trying to unload it. Two easily forgotten bits.

AgentJ said:
the tow hook will get loose after a while. I towed a two man tube with it for two seasons. Had a blast although it started to come loose. just take a wrench and tighten it back down. it your towing adults I would suggest a towing harness. the tow ring is only connected to the hatch through the fiber glass with two nuts.

I just looked up towing harness which first link was to amazon AIRHEAD AHTH-2 Heavy Duty Tow Harness : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors Is this what you are referring to? And if so, where do you hook it up to?

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, there is usually a float that is attached to it. You just clip it on to the strap tie downs on you boat located on the stern.

Jason

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on the new boat...you will love it!

mach'er

Cadet

Thanks guys. Picked her up. Big storms rolling through right now, maybe get her out tomorrow.

Bungee cord that holds the center section of the rear bench down broke just a couple of miles away from Bass Pro Shops. Turned around and they fixed it on the spot.

Got home, and I will apparently have to move the pin to back up into my driveway, which I didn't think I'd need to do. Just parked it against the curb till the downpour stops. I'm using a 7 pin round to 5 pin flat adapter, but it still is actuating the brakes (slight uphill in driveway) in reverse. Is that normal behavior with the 5 pin? Or should it work the way I thought it should?

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. Picked her up. Big storms rolling through right now, maybe get her out tomorrow.

Bungee cord that holds the center section of the rear bench down broke just a couple of miles away from Bass Pro Shops. Turned around and they fixed it on the spot.

Got home, and I will apparently have to move the pin to back up into my driveway, which I didn't think I'd need to do. Just parked it against the curb till the downpour stops. I'm using a 7 pin round to 5 pin flat adapter, but it still is actuating the brakes (slight uphill in driveway) in reverse. Is that normal behavior with the 5 pin? Or should it work the way I thought it should?

That stupid bungie cord thing will just break again. Just don't connect it. I'm going to put a lunch box style one on there I think (or similar hardware vs bungie)

As for the reverse thing, that's up for debate it seems. I just rewired my trailer to a 7 pin connector (connecting the 5 wires) and going to see how it works. We're going out tomorrow so I'll report my findings on that. There *is* an actuator/solenoid under the trailer connected to the brake system, so I believe in reverse the brakes should be disabled.

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same type of adapter. mine works just fine. could be a faulty adapter.

Jason

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, there is usually a float that is attached to it. You just clip it on to the strap tie downs on you boat located on the stern.

Jason

Those types of tow ropes ALWAYS drag in the wake and slow the tube down dramatically. I had one of those and also had the Sportsstuff 4K towable booster ball...which didn't help it out one bit!
image.jpg

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That just does not make sense to me. Your towing a 60 pound tube, with another 200 pounds of passengers on it. I don't think the float makes any difference in the world. you don't have to get one with a float though. most rope is polypropylene which floats on top of the water, with an I/O it would work just fine. the float is mainly for outboards.

mach'er

Cadet

I won't know till I hook her up and try it, but I think I found the issue with my reverse lock-out issue. I went out durning lunch today and checked for voltage on the center connector of the 7 Pin at the back of my truck while in reverse... Nothing.

Well, there has been this plastic seal pack that has been in the passenger door pocket of my truck for the past 10 years - I always wondered what it was for but never got rid of it. There were two relays, some wiring, and a set of instructions in the package. Turns out, the wiring is for adding an electric brake controller to the intrument panel's harness. One relay is for the 12V pin on the 7 Pin (if you've got a camper or whatever with batteries that need to be charged off the tow vehicle's alternator while driving). The other relay is for the reverse light circuit to the trailer wiring. It was all still in the sealed plastic bag that has been in my passenger's door map pocket since I brought the truck home from the dealership.

I guess I don't know why they weren't installed during the dealer's predelivery process, but regardless, I installed the appropriate relay in the underhood fuse box, and bada-bing bada-boom, 12V on the center connector when in reverse. Problem likely fixed I'm thinking.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

NICE! Thanks for the update!

Reminds me of a similar plastic bag sitting in my spare tire storage area.... for a "brake controller hookup stuff" but probably takes care of the reverse light also...

dmtalon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You guys made me go re-look at the wiring I did. It seems BLUE does not go to BLUE. My center PIN is YELLOW on the new adapter. So I just rewired it last night. I don't hear any clicking, but I did pull the boat out/back in the garage and didn't feel any drag. time will tell.

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can back it up over a curb, you did it right.