Omc cobra shift problem

Hello new here and been reading a lot of great info on this site . Here is my issue -1986 4.3 cobra I replaced the bellows and lower shift cable have read Stuart Hastings article over and over as well as many threads here . Using this info have set the cable to all the correct dimensions as well as the 90 degree angle on the bell crank. I reinstalled the outdrive adjusted cable from control box and when shifting into reverse the shift interrupter will stay on the high point of the W . I readjusted to eliminate that issue now it won't engage reverse. Readjust to get reverse it seems it will not fully engage forward . I have repeated all adjustments many times with the same results .

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Re: Omc cobra shift problem

Update - pulled outdrive again and found it will not fully engage reverse while manually trying to shift . I can go n-f and back using 1 finger to move the shift rod.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Are you trying to turn the prop shaft when trying to shift? If not then try that, you should be turning the prop shaft when shifting it. If it still doesn't go in the problem is in the lower unit.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

As Lou said, if you are trying to shift with the engine not running and not manually rotating the prop, you may have issues.

Yes was spinning the prop would hear a click-click noise but would not fully engage

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Use the tools to adjust the cable?