79 80hp Sync Question

jonesec

Cadet
I've been trying to get this motor to run correctly. I went through the carbs, replaced the fuel pump diaphragm, but still couldn't get the motor to run while in gear.

I followed all the procedures to do a link and sync using the directions from Clams Canino. However, I have a couple of questions.

1. It says to set the initial pickup at 3-4 degrees btdc. Is this when the throttle butterflies are just about to open, or are they at the stops?

2. When setting the initial pickup, the adjustment screw for the advance is screwed all the way in. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79 80hp Sync Question

The idle pickup timing is when the carbs are still closed, but about to open. I cannot answer you second question, but I doub't that is normal.

jonesec

Cadet
Re: 79 80hp Sync Question

Thanks for your response. I have gone back to check things, and when I set the pickup at 3-4 degress btdc, I don't have any adjustment left on the screw. I took it out and don't think it is original. I only need 2-3 more turns on the screw to get the throttles to just before starting to open to get the adjustment I need. The screw is 10-32, so I think I will just get a longer one and try things from there.