Water in motor mount tub

Toonedup

Cadet
First post to the forum. Had my 98 24ft Grumman for two years, always water in the transom tub is this normal? There is a hole about the size of a plug there is also a bilge pump inside.
Thanks in advance for you comments

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water in motor mount tub

Welcome to the forum. There is a good group here that's willing to help.

I would have someone drive it at various speeds and try to watch from the back seat and see when it's coming in and have them do some turns. Watch with different loading on the boat as possible. As you know there's a ton of water that flows out the back and you may be able to divert some of it with splash shields and sealer depending on where it's coming from.

I would judge how much of a problem it is based on how full the motor tub is. If it's draining out and staying at a low level in the tub that's one thing, but if it's taking on a lot of water and the pump is running all the time (assuming it's automaticly controlled) while the boat is running then I would try to slow it down. Sometimes the cables catch a lot of water and splash in.

I've got a splash shield on my cable side that diverts water down and thinking about putting one on the other side. There's so many different ways the back of pontoons are built so you have to figure out what yours is doing and when, then try to calm it down.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

A picture would help, but yes most all of them have water in them. Mine has a 2 inch gap under the transom in fact.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my Voyager, I have a similar setup and it does drain while on the move. My bilge pump is for running my live well. I would suspect that if your pump is not for a live well or shower, then I would guess it was designed to have a plug. As stated above, pictures would help.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats.

Not familiar with that boat but if there is a bilge and a plug I don't think it is suppose to have water in but normally water is allowed in the motor pod on a toon.

As everyone else said pics would be invaluable here.

bav/270w

Seaman Apprentice

Not familiar with this boat either. If this is an inboard/outboard set up, there shouldn't be water in the engine tub. If it's an outboard remove the plug. Its normal to have water there while stationary and should drain while underway. the bilge pump may be for another purpose as mentioned earlier and is mounted there for protection from damage.