Idle adjustment 1979 OMC 120

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here I am again. I am adjusting my idle on my 1979 120. Two things are happening:

1-The idle adjustment screw stop...technical term...seems to be loose. I tightened the screw that holds it in place but it still has movement. The movement is such that if I were to put a washer on it, it would stop. Is this movement normal?

2- I have adjusted my idle so that it is at 1000 RPM in neutral and about 700ish in gear. When I come in from the lake, the idle stays at 1500-2000 rpm. I have adjusted the idle to compensate; however, this creates low RPM in gear the next time I start it cold and possible stalling. One thing I have noticed, the throttle cable does not come back all the way to the idle stop leaving about a 1-2 MM gap between the adjustment screw and the stop. I thought I fixed it by simply taking off the cable at the carb and screwing it out to create pressure on the idle adjustment screw. Seems to work OK but still have an issue intermittently.

Sorry for the novel

Jason

Gangly

Seaman
Re: Idle adjustment 1979 OMC 120

Your throttle blade most likely isnt closing all the way. If your setup is like mine, I have to put the shifter in forward gear then back it off half way to neutral before adjusting the cable.

What model engine (serial number)?

Gangly

Seaman
Re: Idle adjustment 1979 OMC 120

I mis read your first post, I thought I read 1989 not 1979. Mine is a 90 model so I thought they would be similar, but mine probably bears very little resemblence to yours, sorry, I apologize for any confusion.