New to the forums and have a question.

fisherboy68

Recruit
Hello all,

Been lurking for a while and finally have a question worth posting. I am getting ready to possible buy a 1983 Cobia Odyssey Cuddy. It currently has no outboard. I plan on fixing it up and taking the wife and my three boys out on the lake for some relaxing cruising, fishing, and possible tubing. The boat is rated for 175hp outboard. My question is do I need a 175hp outboard to perform the listed activities or will something smaller work good enough. I believe the boat is around 1500lbs and with the family we will be over 2k just in bodies and boat. So long winded post aside, what do you all think? Thanks in advance for the help and have a blessed day!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: New to the forums and have a question.

Rule of thumb - 75% of the rated HP is the best minimum power for any boat to perform properly.

Welcome to iboats!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to the forums and have a question.

It is always better to have more power than you need and not use it rather than have too little power and need more. If you can afford a 175, I would buy that.

My 21 foot Manatee Cuddy is rated for 180 HP. I had a 140 on it and while it performed well, it only topped out at 33 MPH and was a little disappointing. Currently I replaced the 140 with a larger displacement 150 that I got dirt cheap. I have not tested it yet. If I could find a decent and cheap 180, I would use that.