Selecting Transom Strap

Cruize

Cadet
I need to replace a transom strap on my 3,000 lb bowrider.

How do I determine the minimum working strength / breaking strength?

Thanks

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Selecting Transom Strap

Hey Cruize, not much experience here, however, protect ur investment and go to the max, as I have. Happy Boating:lol:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To protect your boat, I suggest that you also add a bow eye safety chain to the trailer frame.

Cruize

Cadet

To protect your boat, I suggest that you also add a bow eye safety chain to the trailer frame.

I have a safety chain installed on the riser post that the winch is mounted on. There is an eyelet on the trailer frame aftward of the bow eye. I could always relocate the chain.

For whatever reason, the boat shifts on the trailer. I tighten the winch and two transom straps after loading the boat and a few miles later they are all loose, indicating the boat slid forward and/or shifted sideways. Except this last time . . . no strap re-tightening equals one missing strap when we got home.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Are you bringing them straight down or criss-crossing them? For that weight boat I would think you would have to use the ratchet type and not the buckle type.

Cruize

Cadet

Are you bringing them straight down or criss-crossing them? For that weight boat I would think you would have to use the ratchet type and not the buckle type.

I have ratchet type and they go straight down.

Cruize

Cadet

It is a bunk type trailer. One lake I am allowed to power load and must power load due to the shallow ramp angle. I get a running start and drive / power onto the trailer.

n8ve1

Cadet

So, where you going to pick up your straps from? Around here my discount choices are Walmart or State Trailer supply.

N8

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have ratchet type and they go straight down.

Common sense tells me that crossing them might help greatly with side to side play. I can't figure out the front to back unless your bow strap is stretching, not wound tightly or your winch is failing.

UncleWillie

Captain

I will submit that every boat on a trailer shifts a lot more than most people suspect.
Brake firmly and the boat will come up tight against the Bow stop.
Accelerate briskly and it will shift back an inch.
You always end the journey by braking so you think the boat stayed forward the whole trip when it didn't.

A pair of 2500# straps will be more than sufficient for your boat.
If you hit a huge bump the straps will be lifting the 800# trailer up to the boat, not holding the 3000# boat down.
In a Major Collision, only luck is going to keep the boat on the trailer no matter how it is attached.

Be sure to always insert the hook from the same side the strap came from, not the back side that looks cleaner.
Otherwise it will fall out at the first bump that gives it any slack.

SternStrap.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

First, forget the discount stores. Get first rate boat tie downs from IBoats or another marine supply store.

Second, trash the ratchet straps - they will go loose on a 14' tinny.

Third, throw away the bow safety chain. Its only purpose is to try and catch the boat as it moves away from its proper position. Replace it with a bow tie down steel chain with a turnbuckle. That will keep the boat from moving.

Tie Down Engineering buckle transom straps are one of the best you can buy. Criss cross at your option. It shouldn't be hard to tell if the boat is moving front to back or sideways.

PS - follow the pics above for the proper s-hook arrangement.