need to know how to set idle on a Volvo AQ 125

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
okay I had my carburetor cleaned out, change timing belt and tensioner spring because my old timing belt jumped a tooth due to a backfire end of last season. Have engine back in time but at low rpm's engine stalls out. Could somebody please explain to me how to set the idle and if there's a mixture setting of fuel into the carburetor to get it to idle properly?

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: need to know how to set idle on a Volvo AQ 125

There is a screw with a spring on it that pushes on the throttle. Look at where the throttle cable attaches. It should be at 1000 rpm in gear in the water. And set at 10deg

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can find the service manuals free online pretty easily. Go download em and I like to print em out. The manual has the precise step by step instructions.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like Ajax said, you want to set it while in gear in the water.

It's supposed to be 900 rpm at idle in gear. If you put it into neutral it will bump up to about 1100 rpm. Any lower and it will die out under load, higher and you'll be coming into the dock way to fast.

The mixture screw, start off turning it in until it is just snug, then back it off 2 turns. You'll have to adjust it from there once you have it warmed up and idling. It shouldn't take much, .5-1 turn in either direction. Getting the mixture right will probably raise the idle rpms on you which you then readjust back to where you need it.