Merc tilt/trim pump - need parts

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice
My boat has a 1993 4.3 4bbl engine and Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive, the engine does not have a serial number. Recently the trim pump has been acting up, as of yesterday one of the flared fittings on a hose to the pump started to leak, the fuild coming out was not clear and look a lot like engine oil. It seems to take a long time to lift the leg and when the leg is fully up or fully down, the pump does not slow down or labour at all...it used to change sound when it went into bypass (as I'd expect in any hydraulic system) at the end of the cylinder travel.

The pump assy is merc P/N 93247A7 but since the motor, solenoids and wiring are fine, I'd like to either replace just the pump (or pump & reservoir if thats the only way they come) or rebuild the pump. What are my options for this work...

I was a bit surprised at the cost of the full assembly (~$800 for the saltwater unit), it seems like a lot for such simple technology.

Thx in advance for any input.
Zeke

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Merc tilt/trim pump - need parts

Stern drives are 1991-1995 with serial numbers 0D469859 THRU 0F679999. This link has the entire pump parts listed http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=818183 91&ivar=images/COMMON/13842.png&inbr=1017&bnbr=130&bdesc=Hydraulic+Pump
and you can also look up other item part numbers. Suggest taking the cylinders apart or at least flushing them out along with the lines.

Your part number 93247A7 is hear Mallory Power Trim Motor & Reservoir 9-18210 - iboats and is the Mallory power trim pump and reservior only.

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice

The Mallory link looks nothing like my pump, it is identical to this one:

Power Trim Pump Assembly for Mercruiser - Sierra 18-6768 - iboats

I'm still reluctant to buy a new pump if a repair kit is available...does such a thing exist? For sure the cylinders and lines will need to be flushed...not 100% certain what fluid was in there (either bad hydraulic fluid or something even worse).

Thx
Zeke

alldodge

Staff member

The Mallory link looks nothing like my pump, it is identical to this one:

Power Trim Pump Assembly for Mercruiser - Sierra 18-6768 - iboats

I'm still reluctant to buy a new pump if a repair kit is available...does such a thing exist? For sure the cylinders and lines will need to be flushed...not 100% certain what fluid was in there (either bad hydraulic fluid or something even worse).

Thx
Zeke

The link isn't quite working but if all else fails go to mercruiserparts.com and look up you sterndrive.
I'll try the link again
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=818183 91&ivar=images/COMMON/13842.png&inbr=1017&bnbr=130&bdesc=Hydraulic+Pump

The part number you gave was the one shown but as you see does not match up to the one you have.
If all else fails go to http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=ALPHA+ONE+(GEN.II)++++1991-1995
Select the serial number then select hydraulic pump and look at the listing

boatguy19

Petty Officer 3rd Class

take the tank off and see if there is a mix of water and oil in it, the bolt is on the bottom of that tank i think. after the tank is off there is a screen that sometimes gets cloged up, clean it up with some carb cleaner. theres not much that goes wrong with them you can use almost any oil in them. but i use trim pump oil in them, hope this helps.

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice

I'll give the cleanup a try. I'd like to push the old fluid out (whatever it is), any guidance on how to push the old stuff out? I was thinking of just disconnecting one of the hoses, run the pump (either up or down depending on which hose I remove) and pushing the fluid from the reservoir, thru the connected hose, thru the cylinders and back out the other hose into a canister...once fully purged reconnect the hose...sound like it will work? I was also told the system can clear itself as the pump is located higher than anything else (and an air bubble will rise into the reservoir).

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you'd like to go directly to the manufacturer of the pump, Parker-Oildyne, it's a 108 series pump, with a 'C' reservoir. Here's a list with the parts breakdown and the Parker part numbers.

http://www.westernintech.com/assets/108 Series vertical A B C D generic exploded view drawing.pdf

And here is the workshop manual from Parker for that pump, including all the servicing information....

http://www.phtruck.com/download/Spe...ydraulicPowerUnits-108-118-168-175-Series.pdf

Chris....

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice

Strangest thing, jumped in yesterday, topped up the oil and cycled the leg about 10X, first few times the oil came back foamy but each cycle got cleaner until the reservoir only have a tiny skim of foam on it, no signs of water ingress either, just trapped air.

Since the pump cycled beautifully, I chalk this one up to the one loose flared fitting I found (and the hack that undid it to try and purge the system), the system has not lost any oil level and is running like it did when I bought the boat (leg comes up in ~15 secs, pump slows a lot when top of cycle hit).

Thanks a ton for the input, all of it was very useful.
Zeke