New to me Johnson 70

Jeffp1

Cadet
Hello everyone, I just joined the forum, and so far very impressed with the amount of info. I am finding. Thanks!!
I recently Purchased a new to me boat w/ a 1985 70hp Johnson outboard. The previous owner just finished a complete rebuild on it. Including the lower unit. So far I am very happy with it. It seems to really run well.
This is my first Johnson motor I've owned over 15hp. My question to you all is....actually more than one!!
1: Does the motor need a "break in period" or can I just run it wide open right away?
2: How many hours until I should replace spark plugs etc.?
3: When should lower unit oil be replaced?
Any other info. or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You!!:noidea:

Jeffp1

Cadet
Re: New to me Johnson 70

Hello everyone, I just joined the forum, and so far very impressed with the amount of info. I am finding. Thanks!!
I recently Purchased a new to me boat w/ a 1985 70hp Johnson outboard. The previous owner just finished a complete rebuild on it. Including the lower unit. So far I am very happy with it. It seems to really run well.
This is my first Johnson motor I've owned over 15hp. My question to you all is....actually more than one!!
1: Does the motor need a "break in period" or can I just run it wide open right away?
2: How many hours until I should replace spark plugs etc.?
3: When should lower unit oil be replaced?
Any other info. or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You!!:noidea:

I suppose no one knows!!?????????
Thanks!

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1. Don't know
2. Annually - keep a set with you for otherwise
3. Annually - check for water after your first outing. Open slotted drain screw at bottom of drive. Lube will appear milky if it has water in it. Unscrew it just enough to allow some lube out to check.

eseibel67

Cadet

Any new or rebuilt engine should be put through a break in period. Put a little extra oil in the fuel mixture. Do not idle new engine, get it up to 2000-2500 RPM so it warms up quickly. Then for the next 20 minutes, alternate speed inbetween 3000 RPM and 1500 RPM, and idle it for a minute here and there. Then give it a full throttle blast for 30 seconds, then back down to 3000 RPM for 2 minutes, then full throttle for a minute. For the first 2 tanks of fuel, get in plenty of high speed runs, just make sure you give it a break by backing off once in a while. Your new rings will now be fully seated.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Good for you bro!!! That is an awesome motor, and if it has been fully overhauled you will get TONS of fun out of it thinking the way that you are right now.

Jeffp1

Cadet

:) Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate them.
Sounds like I have been doing the right thing so far.Had it out on the water today, ran great. So far I have put 5hrs on engine since rebuild. It seams to really run strong, as well as starts right up.
I hope you all don't mind, I will have many more questions to come, being a Newbe to this motor and all!!
Thanks again all!!!!:D

Jeffp1

Cadet

1. Don't know
2. Annually - keep a set with you for otherwise
3. Annually - check for water after your first outing. Open slotted drain screw at bottom of drive. Lube will appear milky if it has water in it. Unscrew it just enough to allow some lube out to check.

About your answer to #3......
I will definitely check for this, If water is found, what would normally be the cause of this?
Suggested repair???:confused:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

About your answer to #3......
I will definitely check for this, If water is found, what would normally be the cause of this?
Suggested repair???:confused:

it depends on the source of the leak(s). The best scenario is simply the drain plug seals. beyond that, you're dropping the lower unit for a reseal. Pressure testing with the LU dropped/drained is used to isolate the leak(s). Pressure/vacuum test is to verify that the seals are sound.

Did you find water in the LU or is this hypothetical? :noidea: