20hp 4stroke merc vs 20hp 4stroke suzuki

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well i have been contimplating these 2 motors for almost a yr now and i still don't know exactly which way to go???I'm really wanting to go with the most powerfull 20hp i can get for the money.I have watched thousands of videos on both and they both seem to be just top notch motors.

Yes one is carb and one is efi.The thing is i live in fl so will it really matter which motor i go with as i don't think a carb adjustment would ever have to be done,is that right???What i mean i will constantly be in the same surroundings with the motor forever so it should always run the same unless i do an adjustment which i don't think i would ever need to.

I really like the features of both,but my favorite of both motors is the self adjustment tilt ratchet system on the merc that makes tilting the motor up and down the easiest to me at of all 20hp outboards.Also no oil filter in the suzuki,is that ever going to have an effect on the motor,nothing to filter the oil,hmmmm.Then i really like the efi on the suzuki,plus how light it is.So what do i do?I can't go wrong either way.

Same warranty on both 3yrs,suzuki is say $2700ish and i can price find the merc for prob under that,say $2300-$2500ish.There all over for that price.This is a tough decision for me,a couple of grand is no chump change for me,especially when still in the back of my mind there is a ton of nice 25hp 2stroke yamahas around,there a dime a dozen,but again your in the 2k plus range for a used motor and for a few hundred more i can go brand new.

The dif between a 25hp 2stroke yamaha and a 20hp 4stroke merc/suzuki is prob only a few mph that i can live with,the amount of gas i would save is priceless with the 4stroke,cleaner motor and knowing whats exacly happened to the motor since new is the big thing for me.So now it's decision time,i want to purchase by the beginning of july the latest,any help on this on what you guys would do,just curious,thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 20hp 4stroke merc vs 20hp 4stroke suzuki

Tough decission, flip a coin to know inmediate winer. So the Susy doesn't have an oil filter or a filtering system at all ?

Happy Boating

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

See what dealer you like best. WHen I repowered I was looking between a Yammie and Merc. Two things that made the decision for me was the Merc dealer was much friendler and really wanted my business. The Yammie dealer went belly up within 6 months of my repower.

The other deciding factor for me was the Merc was made in Wisconsin. I felt better about supporting American labor. That's me, some people value Yamaha's design and value. I know some Merc's, especially the smaller ones are made overseas. If the smaller Merc is Chinese and the Suzuki is Japanese, no brainer and go with the Suzuki.

boater1234

I believe most are made in japan anymore,if not all the major brands.The friendly factor for me has no bearing on what i buy because were i live there is a suzuki,merc dealer on every corner so right now it's just whats the best deal for the money and overall features.Yes i get what your saying if a dealer just seems uninterested in selling the motor and isn't the friendliest to prob move on,but if he's like 2 to $400 cheaper thats were i buy and then i know so many merc dealers or suzuki dealers that are friendly if i have a warranty issue.

I'm just trying to play out everything in my head,powerwise,fuel savings,dependability,ease of use and of course price.For the longest time i have had my mind set on the merc but then the suzuki came out and it just catches your attention,it's a sweet motor as is the merc.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The last new motor I bought was 4 years ago. The one before that was 26 years ago, and the one before that 29 years ago. I still have all 3 and run them all regularly.

Calculate the service life of YOUR last 3 motors. If you haven't had that kind of longevity in the past, then chances are you won't keep your new motor very long either. If that's the case, buy the cheapest one you can. Every thing is a compromise anyway.

boater1234

Ok there is a question i have on the cc's of the motors.I talked to someone on another forum,I was under the impression that hp is hp,like 20hp is 20hp on the top end.If one outboard say the merc is 351cc's and the suzuki is 327cc's will the merc have more top end or does more displacement mean just more torque and power out of the hole or through the rpm range till it hits the top end?I'm confused on that.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Back in the day, power was made up in part with displacement. When motors got downsized but kept the same HP they lost some of their guts.

However, by most standards a 20 is a dinky little motor. I doubt that 24 cc will be noticable.

Expidia

Commander

EFI. Is there even a car motor made today that is carbonated??? Maybe there is, but I never gave it any thought because getting rid of carborators was the best thing that ever happened to a motor. Anyone remember the days when on a zero degree winter morning we had to open the hood, remove the wing nut on this huge black round air filter and then stick a screwdriver down the throat of the freaking carburetor's butterfly choke just to get the damn thing to start :(